This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot Locate Scanner in Simple Scan

usdscbe

Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:06:53 pm

Hello,
I am using an Epson Workforce 545 All-in-One Printer Scanner in Zorin OS 6.
This is an old computer, AMD Athlon 7550 Dual-Core Processor, 32 bit.
The printer feature is working great, but the scanner feature of the All-in-One is not recognized by Simple Scan.
The All-in-One is attached with a USB port.
I have just printed a page out successfully.
Simple Scan Does not recognize a scanner.
The power is on.
How do I "find" my scanner with Simple Scan?
Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:04:04 pm

I don't think you can unless Epson provide a GNU/Linux driver for it. Having just done a search you 'might' be in luck:

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php ... st11783125 which links to here:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/searc ... archModule

Epson.jpg

Please note you will only likely to get basic scanning functionality - if you want something with more versatility you could try the VueScan demo - it works for my Canon All-in-One:

http://www.hamrick.com/

keep us posted! ;) :D

usdscbe

Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:40:23 pm

Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion.
HP was not useful.
I went to the www.hamrick.com site, downloaded VueScan as suggested.
And am not sure what to do with the file.
I am a Newbie and probably am doing something wrong here.
When I try to open the file, it says there are no files.
Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:39:21 pm

Hi, I thought your all in one was Epson not HP? The driver is on that web page I pointed you too! ;)

usdscbe

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:05:35 pm

My mistake. NOT HP. Sorry.
Epson was not helpful.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:43:46 pm

Did you get as far as here?:

http://support.epson.net/linux/en/iscan ... sion=1.0.3

You then need to download the appropriate .deb package - 32-bit = i386, 64-bit is 64-bit. ;) :D

usdscbe

Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:32:34 pm

Yes, I did.

Am I doing something wrong?
I opened the READ ME file from the download, which instructed me to enter the following into terminal:

tar xaf iscan-bundle-1.0.3.x86.deb.tar.gz
cd iscan-bundle-1.0.3.x86.deb
./install.sh

When I tried to enter the command into terminal, I got the following message, which, as a newbie, really don't understand:
scott@scott-KY821AA-ABA-CQ5110Y:~$ tar xaf iscan-bundle-1.0.3.x86.deb.tar.gz
tar: iscan-bundle-1.0.3.x86.deb.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
scott@scott-KY821AA-ABA-CQ5110Y:~$ cd iscan-bundle-1.0.3.x86.deb
bash: cd: iscan-bundle-1.0.3.x86.deb: No such file or directory
scott@scott-KY821AA-ABA-CQ5110Y:~$ ./install.sh

I think I am close, but no luck yet.
Thanks again.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:34:23 pm

Hi, can you extract the .deb file using 'Archive Manager'? Once you have done this, you can either install the .deb file using 'Software Centre/er' or my personal favourite is 'Gdebi'. To install Gdebi, open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi
- that select all above the command allows you to copy the command to your clipboard, then paste into the terminal. Please note that you will need your login password (and there are no asterisks as you type so be careful - you get three attempts if you get your password wrong) this elevates you to 'root' (administrator) in order to install packages. Once installed, open Gdebi Package Manager which will be under 'System Tools' part of the Menu once installed. Then select, open a file and navigate to where the extracted .deb file is - keep us posted! ;) :D

usdscbe

Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:36:13 pm

It has been awhile, as I have been swamped with work and holidays, and thank you for your suggestions.
it took a while to figure this out. It is all new to me.
I entered the terminal commands.
I went into System Tools and was AMAZED that Gdebi Package Manager was there! WOOHOO!
However, when I entered what I think I was looking for, I read this in VERY RED lettering...not a good sign:
Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: iscan (>= 2.29.3)
I will keep trying.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:52:38 pm

In the meantime try this (vuescan)- it works but only as a demo and will just do image scans nothing else unless you decide to pay for the full package.

http://www.hamrick.com/

usdscbe

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:25:12 pm

Thank you, Swarfendor437.
I absolutely appreciate your many suggestions, all of which I tried.
I finally found the BEST solution.
I successfully downloaded Zorin OS 12 Ultimate this week and Simple Scan works PERFECTLY!
Thank you, and I am sure I will be begging for help somewhere else very soon.
So far Zorin OS 12 Ultimate is just great!
All the best for now.

Lin66

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:36:32 pm

usdscbe wrote:Thank you, Swarfendor437.
I absolutely appreciate your many suggestions, all of which I tried.
I finally found the BEST solution.
I successfully downloaded Zorin OS 12 Ultimate this week and Simple Scan works PERFECTLY!
Thank you, and I am sure I will be begging for help somewhere else very soon.
So far Zorin OS 12 Ultimate is just great!
All the best for now.

So you're saying Core doesn't works at all with Simple Scan but on Ultimate it just works like a pro?

Isn't Ultimate solely supposed to only contains extra applications only? To me this just looks like Core is "broken on purpose" to make you pay for the OS.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:42:34 am

I do think it is poor show in respect of accessibility too - see my comparison listing here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12491

What you have to bear in mind is that simple scan will be dependent on: make and model of scanner and secondly whether the installed kernel has a driver for it, neither of which Zorin has control over.

usdscbe

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:49:49 pm

Hi Lin66,
I don't know if what you say is true.
I DO know that the people at Zorin have answered my questions, and helped me when I needed it.
They have created a pretty cool distribution, which works just great for me.
I had one issue with Simple Scan, which was taken care of with Ultimate 12, and another with Graphic Drivers, which was taken care of easily. Otherwise this distribution is tremendous!
I am still pretty new to Linux, and am still learning, but I do know that their service and communication when I have reached out, has created a loyal customer in me and in my family. we now have 3 computers running Zorin...everyone is happy. My even daughter wants me to upgrade her laptop to OS12.
The "cost" of Zorin OS 12 is rather small, and I think it is worth donating to the cause to keep it going. After all, what has MS Windows ever done for me, but create a mess with Windows 10?
(I realize that this is probably not the thread for talking about OS12, but I thought i should answer the concerns.)
Merry Christmas. Spread some Zorin Cheer along with that Christmas Cheer.

Lin66

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:38:52 pm

usdscbe wrote:Hi Lin66,
I don't know if what you say is true.
I DO know that the people at Zorin have answered my questions, and helped me when I needed it.
They have created a pretty cool distribution, which works just great for me.
I had one issue with Simple Scan, which was taken care of with Ultimate 12, and another with Graphic Drivers, which was taken care of easily. Otherwise this distribution is tremendous!
I am still pretty new to Linux, and am still learning, but I do know that their service and communication when I have reached out, has created a loyal customer in me and in my family. we now have 3 computers running Zorin...everyone is happy. My even daughter wants me to upgrade her laptop to OS12.
The "cost" of Zorin OS 12 is rather small, and I think it is worth donating to the cause to keep it going. After all, what has MS Windows ever done for me, but create a mess with Windows 10?
(I realize that this is probably not the thread for talking about OS12, but I thought i should answer the concerns.)
Merry Christmas. Spread some Zorin Cheer along with that Christmas Cheer.

I see NOW that make much more sense. Merry Christmas to you as well. :)