This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

41 MB Volume in Nauilus

snydley100

Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:22:57 pm

I did a fresh install of Zorin 9 Ultimate, in part to try to get rid of the 41MB Volume that shows up in Nautilus under Devices, but it showed up again after the install, so I conclude from that that it's part of the install.
Does anyone else have this on their drive, or know what it's purpose is? It's path is: /media/username/B222-B665 on my system. It has no files in it, and is listed as a Device in Nautilus as a "Folder (inode/directory)"
Thanks,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:00:37 am

Hi, did you let Zorin do the installation? You are much better choosing the 'something else' option to create '/', '/home','swap area' manually - that way you should not get any situations like the one you mention - if Zorin is the only OS you have on the machine, run gparted from live DVD/usb and delete all partitions on the drive so you have a clean drive then when it comes to install:

1. Create '/' of 30 Gb (30720 Mib) for '/' - formatted to 'ext4' and set as 'Primary'

2. Create an 'Extended/Logical' partition - create 4 Gb Swap Area at the END of the extended partition (4096 Mib)

3. Create '/home' at the BEGINNING of the extended partition using all the space left BEFORE the swap area and format to 'ext4'

;) :D

snydley100

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:49:37 am

I have a dual boot system Windows 7 Ultimate and Zorin 9 Ultimate. On the initial install on my laptop, which came with Windows7 Ultimate pre-installed, I booted with the Zorin 9 live dvd first, created an extended partition for all of the drive space outside of the Windows partition, then created separate partitions for / ,(and swap which wascreated at the end of the drive),(did not make one for /home). The 41MB area is NOT a partition, it is part of the / partition, located at /media/username/B222-B665 . It does not show up in GParted. There are no files in it.
I started this by backing everything up, I formatted the / and swap partitions to NTFS from within Windows Control Panel > Administrative Tools, to keep the partitions, but to get rid of any trace of an "alien" file system to Windows. Then I ran the Windows DVD and repaired Windows to get rid of Grub and restore Windows boot. Then I booted Zorin 9, installed it selecting "something else" , selected sda5, (the partition I created previously), selected to format it to ext4, and installed grub at sda. After a successful install, and noticing that the 41MB "DEVICE" was once again there in Nautilus, I went through the procedure again, deleting, formatting, and installing. AGAIN the 41MB is there. I'd just like to know what it's for, if it's normal, and if I should be concerned about it, as far as security goes.
Thanks for the help,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:39:29 pm

Hi, It won't be part of any system as far as I can tell, sometimes Notebook manufactureres have such a folder/partition for drivers for a factory reset (seem to remember a 30 Mb partition on my HP Mini for that reason.

What I would do is take your machine back to its original condition where Windows occupies the whole of the drive but back up any data first. Use the tools you did to remove GRUB and restore Windows 7. Once you have done that, follow my tutorial video on how to dual-boot without overwriting your mbr for Windows - it makes life an awful lot easier:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

Written instructions here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7981

snydley100

Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:09:03 pm

I took the machine back to factory condition Friday, that's what I was trying to get across in my last message. This 41MB "DEVICE" is NOT a separate partition, it is part of the Zorin partion, located at /media/username/B222-B665.
I don't know that this is even a problem, but I'll follow your guide and reinstall and see if it shows up again.
Snyde

snydley100

Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:02:51 pm

I'm trying to follow your install guide, the text version, and am a little confused with #10.

To quote your guide:
10. "Installation Options screen appears - choose the last option - 'Something Else' - this will launch the Partition Editor. Select the 'Free Space/Unallocated Space' then click on the '+' symbol, bottom left of the window that is open and a new interface opens - make it a Primary Partition with size 30000 Mibs (About 30 Gb) - you might get away with 15000 (15 Gb) but I like to play safe! - format to 'ext4' (ext2 if SSD) and mark as '/'. Next highlight the remaining unallocated space, '+' once more and this time create 'Extended Partition' - select this partition to add at the END the 'swap area' - I make this 4 Gb (4096) and then everything in front I create the last partition, '/home' where all your data and windows applications live at the 'BEGINNING' of the extended partition - make this 'logical'."

Let me see if I have this right:
I'll create a 30G PRIMARY partition next to the Windows partition, format to ext2,(since I'm using an SSD), for /, then + again and create an EXTENDED partition for ALL of the remaining space on the drive. What I'm confused about is your wording for the swap area, is the swap area at the end of extended partition, or at the end of the drive OUTSIDE of the EXTENDED partition in it's own Primary partition?
Also the /home area is a logical "area" at the beginning of the extended partition?
Sorry for the questions, I just want to do this right!
Thanks,
Snyde

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:40:27 pm

Hi, I really need to update the text version! I would play safe and do the following in terms of partition creation for Zorin:

1. On the newly created blank space created by Windows 7,

a. Create a 512 Mb '/boot' partition (Primary) formatted to 'ext4' - this is where you are going to place 'GRUB' when it asks where you want to place it.

b. Create a primary partition of 30 Gb (30720 is the number you should enter - 30 x 1024) for the root file system, formatted to 'ext4' and be 'Primary' immediately to the right (graphically speaking) of '/boot'

c. of the remaining space after '/' create a logical extended partition - at the end of this partition create the swap area and everything in front (to the left graphically) format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home' for all your data and Wine (windows) applications if you intend using WINE).

;) :D

Then boot back into Windows, install NeoSmart BootLoader and add the Zorin OS to the bootloader as shown in the video. :D