This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

zorin 12 panel position

DocB

Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:20:18 pm

Apparently with a new update, the Zorin Panel icons (Settings/Zorin appearance/panel/position) has been relocated to the top of the desktop window permanently. Whereas before, I was able to relocate said panel icons to the screen bottom edge to emulate a Win7 theme. Is there a way to relocate it back to the bottom according to my own wishes? Thank you

UPDATE: Apparently, one has to access the Zorin Menu/Utilities/Tweak Tool/Extensions/Zorin Task Bar, and reset it back to "on." It took several choices (15 +) to find the right tool. Nonetheless, at this point, the traditional approach for most users would be to access settings/appearance/panel/position--which at this moment does not work.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:37:50 pm

Hi, Thanks for the input on the panel issue - that is something I experienced, got frustrated and got around it by installing Cairo-Dock DE whch when running with the standard Panel at the bottom (you do get two mini panels top left and top right as well) is reminiscent of the old AWN Panel with curved edges - see here when I had Zorin 9 installed (currently running Zorin 11 32-bit Ultimate):

download/file.php?id=3356&mode=view

JesusIsKing314

Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:37:15 am

DocB wrote:UPDATE: Apparently, one has to access the Zorin Menu/Utilities/Tweak Tool/Extensions/Zorin Task Bar, and reset it back to "on." It took several choices (15 +) to find the right tool. Nonetheless, at this point, the traditional approach for most users would be to access settings/appearance/panel/position--which at this moment does not work.

Thanks DocB! I would have never figured it out without your info. My panel was also stuck at the top of the screen and Zorin Appearance showed it as being on the bottom. I didn't find Tweak Tool in my start menu so I found it in Software and installed it. I launched it and went to Extensions and Zorin taskbar was already on but Zorin panel was not so I set it to on and then went back to Zorin Appearance and now it shows it set to top and I was able to set it to bottom and it moved to the panel back to the bottom. Thanks again for the info!

Chefboyct

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:34:51 am

JesusIsKing314 wrote:
DocB wrote:UPDATE: Apparently, one has to access the Zorin Menu/Utilities/Tweak Tool/Extensions/Zorin Task Bar, and reset it back to "on." It took several choices (15 +) to find the right tool. Nonetheless, at this point, the traditional approach for most users would be to access settings/appearance/panel/position--which at this moment does not work.

Thanks DocB! I would have never figured it out without your info. My panel was also stuck at the top of the screen and Zorin Appearance showed it as being on the bottom. I didn't find Tweak Tool in my start menu so I found it in Software and installed it. I launched it and went to Extensions and Zorin taskbar was already on but Zorin panel was not so I set it to on and then went back to Zorin Appearance and now it shows it set to top and I was able to set it to bottom and it moved to the panel back to the bottom. Thanks again for the info!

thanks man... it helped me a lot as it also happened to me and I googled and finally found your post... Thanks. I was also googling how to re-install Zorin desktop and environment...

Socretes

Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:52:50 pm

I have noticed with some settings.. it does not take effect until a reboot.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:59:12 pm

Socretes wrote:I have noticed with some settings.. it does not take effect until a reboot.

Had it happen to me tonight - I had decided to go back to Nouveau drivers from nVidia, had been browsing then all of a sudden went to lock screen of blue instead of set 'Desert' lock screen when attempting to logon it refused - loop issue. I changed to Zorin default using the cog wheel - still at top, went back to Zorin Desktop - still at top. Removed 'Docky' which was in startup applications. Then remembered the post about Themes.

Here it is pictorally:

ZorinAppearance.jpg

PanelTab.jpg

ApplicationMenu.jpg

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42:32 am

Swarf, your a green sorta guy arn't you ;) I prefer the blue and black and pink and black color schemes. I love that they have a color for everyones personality though. Keep styling dude :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:57:48 pm

I need to relook at the screenshots. The reason I went for green was because the theme I had before meant that LibreOffice Writer menu buttons were greyed out - another issue with Gnome 3/Gtk 3 Dark and Light themes! :(

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:25:47 pm

Yes I've been having that issue as well in Kdenlive using my pink and black theme, if I hover over a button, the text is washed out that I can't read the info. So it basically means that I have to just click the button and see what it does ugg. Well, I was able to use Kdenlive to do what I needed to do the last time I used it so good enough. BTW, tip for when using Kdenlive, save your project often. That software is still glitchy even in Zorin OS 12, and it was really bad back in OS 9, kept crashing all the time!

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:07:03 pm

OK, Make sure you have gnome-tweak-tool installed! Go to the heading on the left named 'Extensions' and once selected in the right-pane scroll down until you see Zorin Panel and make sure it is switched to ON:

Getting the panel back.jpg

If you still have a panel at the top after recovering Zorin Panel at the bottom - go to where I have already shown above - Zorin Appearance | Panels (Tab) and ensure that 'Show Applications Menu' is set to OFF - that is where the traditional Gnome Panel would reside as in Gnome2 DE. ;) :D