This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Is Gnome Shell Constantly Crashing?

opticyclic

Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:15:31 am

I am using Zorin OS 12 beta and I very frequently have issues switching between applications.
I was trying to gauge how often it happened so I switched from Chromium to terminal before writing this line and I couldn't type for about a minute!
Sometimes other applications are still active and sometimes the whole system is unresponsive.

I installed Cinnamon and used that for a short period of time and didn't see the same hanging issues.
However, I haven't been using Cinnamon as much (I can't get it as attractive!) so it might be there too.

Could it be Gnome Shell crashing and restarting itself?
Is anyone else experiencing this?

qnarkill

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:24:42 pm

This is just a hunch but are you runnin any additional graphics drivers?

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:35:35 pm

Just remember that on the Zorin Blog they did warn that you should not run on a 'production' machine that you use for day-to-day work so it may well be down to the instability of the Beta - which is why there is a specific Feedback thread for Zorin 12 Beta in the Feedback section of the Forum.

As for getting Cinammon pretty, you can add Zorin themes - 6 8 and 10 from recollection. ;) :D

opticyclic

Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:02:18 am

qnarkill wrote:This is just a hunch but are you runnin any additional graphics drivers?

Code:
sudo lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] [1002:130a]
   DeviceName: 16
   Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Kaveri [Radeon R6 Graphics] [103c:221c]
   Kernel driver in use: [b]radeon[/b]

That is the open source one right?

I have been running Cinnamon for about 8 hours today so far and haven't had these issues.
It seems like there is a bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1580605

qnarkill

Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:33:45 pm

Yup, thats definitely not fglrx. What kernel are you using, uname -r
http://askubuntu.com/questions/761706/u ... g-randomly