This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Asus X200M... can't boot from USB... tried all the tricks

Nermeen

Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:44:58 pm

I have been trying for 2 weeks just to get past booting from the USB stick without any success. I tried everything including but not limited to:
1) Switching between various recommended programs for creating bootable USB.
2) Buying a new USB stick.
3) Updating the Bios to the latest driver.
4) Enabling CSM, disabling secure boot, changing order of boot options..........etc.

The freakin' thing only wants to boot to windows 10 and can't even see the USB.

Any help is appreciated, especially if anyone has the same model.

Thanks guys.

qnarkill

Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:01:40 pm

So bios is above 500?
Secureboot off?
csm enabled?
Whats legacy USB support disabled,auto or UEFI?

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:27:16 am

Also in BIOS ensure 'fast boot' is disabled and in Windows 10 | Control Panel | Power Settings - change 'advanced' power settings to disable wake timers and prevent hard disk from 'sleeping'. As it is a netbook there could well be more hidden partitions - on an HP minibook I have, it has 4 partitions, ALL Primary, including the hidden ones which means nothing else will boot! You may need to look at deleting a partition at some point but if you are going to replace 10 for Zorin then make sure it works ok in live mode first! ;) :D

advanced power.PNG

Nermeen

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34:37 am

qnarkill wrote:So bios is above 500?
Secureboot off?
csm enabled?

Yes to the first 3 questions, but I can't understand the last question; can you pls make it simpler? I'm a kind of novice in this area.

Nermeen

Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:44:24 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Also in BIOS ensure 'fast boot' is disabled and in Windows 10 | Control Panel | Power Settings - change 'advanced' power settings to disable wake timers and prevent hard disk from 'sleeping'. As it is a netbook there could well be more hidden partitions - on an HP minibook I have, it has 4 partitions, ALL Primary, including the hidden ones which means nothing else will boot! You may need to look at deleting a partition at some point but if you are going to replace 10 for Zorin then make sure it works ok in live mode first! ;) :D

advanced power.PNG

I can't find anything on my BIOS menu that says "fast boot". I did what you said in Windows 10 Control Panel and still nothing. As for the partitions I only have 3 partitions (+ one hidden). Could this be why I can't boot? Anyway one of the partitions is empty as I intend to use it for Zorin so I can easily just delete it I guess. Can you please tell me what you mean by trying Zorin first in live mode? What is this exactly? Thanks a lot.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:57:26 pm

OK, so you have 4 partitions - I can bet they are all marked as Primary too! 'Live Mode' means trying the OS from the Boot Media before installing - I am just getting used to seeing CSM in the new PC Builds I have been /am working on - I need to gen up on the new BIOS speak! ;) :D

Also I see there have been issues by other posters about an issue with Ubiquity creating installation crashes - and apparently a new .iso (core) has been released - yet to install the Ultimate version to see if it is bug free or otherwise. ;) :D

Nermeen

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50:07 pm

No, just one partition is marked as primary, nothing more. I basically have the C: drive (and a hidden part of it for healthy recovery... I don't know if this hidden part is also considered a partition, and the D: drive (primary) and the Z: drive (logical)... this Z: drive I plan to use for installing Zorin. Can you pls tell me where to get this "Live Mode" thing? Where's the link to that? Pls consider yourself talking to a completely ignorant person :'(

qnarkill

Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:18:59 pm

Nermeen wrote:
qnarkill wrote:So bios is above 500?
Secureboot off?
csm enabled?

Yes to the first 3 questions, but I can't understand the last question; can you pls make it simpler? I'm a kind of novice in this area.

try these steps
http://www.eightforums.com/installation ... g-usb.html

Nermeen

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:43:18 am

Ok guys, it's obvious that the problem is not with "booting" from the USB but the problem is "booting from the USB with an OS other than Windows".... I'm really pissed by Asus and I don't know what to do.!!!??? Is there a place where I can complain from what I learned?? The guy from the customer support told me bluntly that there is a way to boot from the USB that has an OS other than windows but that he's not going to tell me how!!! Can you believe this??? I'm really considering selling both Asus PC's I have to buy a Mac Book and make my life easier :'((((

star treker

Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:13:25 pm

If a customer support official told me that there was a way to fix my computer, but they weren't going to tell me how, then I would go to the Better Business Burro website and report the Asus company for poor business practices and customer service. Then after I do that, I would sell the Asus PC's, and since I hate MAC, I would never support them, so I would buy Acer computers which are well priced, so if you want to buy performance PC's, you can get them cheaper then other brands. And then I would tear Windows 10 from the entrails that they place on all new PC's today, and replace with Zorin OS 12. Swarf, a few others, and I can help you to do that when the time comes.

Just remember that if you choose to go the way of MAC, just know that their customer service is just as bleeped up, and all MAC's are overpriced no matter what machine you buy.

qnarkill

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:50:23 pm

Can you find this

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:45:51 pm

star treker wrote:If a customer support official told me that there was a way to fix my computer, but they weren't going to tell me how, then I would go to the Better Business Burro website and report the Asus company for poor business practices and customer service. Then after I do that, I would sell the Asus PC's, and since I hate MAC, I would never support them, so I would buy Acer computers which are well priced, so if you want to buy performance PC's, you can get them cheaper then other brands. And then I would tear Windows 10 from the entrails that they place on all new PC's today, and replace with Zorin OS 12. Swarf, a few others, and I can help you to do that when the time comes.

Just remember that if you choose to go the way of MAC, just know that their customer service is just as bleeped up, and all MAC's are overpriced no matter what machine you buy.

Having had experience of sorting out an Acer notebook for someone in the past I would not touch Acer with a barge pole. Dell would be my preferred choice if I could afford one, or HP. ;) :D