This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Lost Windows 10 boot / part without Zorin installation

Chefboyct

Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:13:13 pm

Hi everyone,

Sorry to bother you mate and I hope I am not being a nuisance as I am a newbie to Ubuntu / Zorin. though I know a few commands there and then.

I have a major problem with I urgently needed help. I have a Windows 10 on the 1 SSD drive on my laptop with 2 parititions (1 for Windows OS and 1 for Files). I then re-sized the File partition to create a 3rd partition (intended for Zorin) but I forgot the fundamental thing that Zorin / Ubuntu needs to sit on MBR (Boot partition).

So I boot into Zorin via USB Disk and got to the stage where it asked me for 3 or 4 options... I clicked on "Other" first and I saw the 3rd partition was not usable (of course). Then I clicked back chose the option with LVM support for easy resizing later. I clicked next. Then The page showed that Zorin / ubuntu has created 2 partition (one for swap and one for main system). I panicked from there so I clicked back to back until the 1st page asking me for language. I then force the laptop to restart (power button). And now my Windows 10 wouldn't boot at all. I used windows 10 rescue disk and tried to repair boot up... aad it didnt work. Then I book into Zorin again and use gparted and it shows mount point is zorin-vg (please see attached). Please let me know what I can do to resolve this so I can get my Windows 10 back and then re-partitition it to install Zorin... Thanks a mil.

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:19:07 pm

Hi, can you get to a command prompt using your 'Repair disc' (Advanced Option under Repair - basing on my Win 7 experience)

Then at command prompt enter:

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

then

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Keep us posted! :D

Chefboyct

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:43:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, can you get to a command prompt using your 'Repair disc' (Advanced Option under Repair - basing on my Win 7 experience)

Then at command prompt enter:

bootrec.exe /FixBoot

then

bootrec.exe /FixMbr

Keep us posted! :D

Hi Swarfendor437,

I must also tell you in between Google and posting here. I have also done a few things in between -
1) Boot into Zorin USB and go through the options (using both options - Try 1) Zorin without installation and 2) install Zorin. And get to Partition page checking through all the options but "DID NOT CLICK NEXT TO INSTALL" . I also didn't select any options to FORMAT seeing the only option I chose was "DO NOT USE THIS DISK" and DID NOT move any further than that.
2) Try boot into Windows (NTFS partition) without luck
3)Log into Windows Rescue - Advanced - Try fix boot up (twice). Not working
4) Tried this Bootrec /fixMBR and reboot - No luck

Please see screen shot after your suggestion. It can not seem to find /FixBOOT (No element).

Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated! Please see screen shot

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:33:30 pm

X:\ directory is your Repair Disc! You need to change to C:\ - i.e., at the end of the command prompt enter cd .. C:\ then run those commands
- for now just run bootrec.exe /FixMbr

;) :D

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:05:07 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:X:\ directory is your Repair Disc! You need to change to C:\ - i.e., at the end of the command prompt enter cd .. C:\ then run those commands

Thanks and tried that. Still doesn't work. After reboot. It shows Intel undi dhcp page as there is no boot able HDD media. I also sent a support request to premium as I have a reg serial but still no reply from support either...

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:26:55 am

Chefboyct wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:X:\ directory is your Repair Disc! You need to change to C:\ - i.e., at the end of the command prompt enter cd .. C:\ then run those commands

Thanks and tried that. Still doesn't work. After reboot. It shows Intel undi dhcp page as there is no boot able HDD media. I also sent a support request to premium as I have a reg serial but still no reply from support either...

I checked around and it seems like the C Partition(Windows) has somehow merged with D (File) and 3rd Partition I intended to install Zorin on. From Windows Recovery, C drive says - Recovery and nothing looks familiar. But D Partition still have my files on which I might be able to savage. I have attached the screen shot and also used other command to find Windows Boot partition but it shows 0. What is the process when Ubuntu / Linux get to the Partition page before installation and how can we reverse it? :(

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:51:48 am

Chefboyct wrote:
Chefboyct wrote:

I checked around and it seems like the C Partition(Windows) has somehow merged with D (File) and 3rd Partition I intended to install Zorin on. From Windows Recovery, C drive says - Recovery and nothing looks familiar. But D Partition still have my files on which I might be able to savage. I have attached the screen shot and also used other command to find Windows Boot partition but it shows 0. What is the process when Ubuntu / Linux get to the Partition page before installation and how can we reverse it? :(

and I came across this... would this help me somehow?

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:52:10 am

Hi, the last screenshot is when the computer cannot find boot able media it boots the network card to attempt to boot from the network even if no connection; been there, done that. Have a look at this guide I have just found:

http://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10 ... -corrupted

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:43:11 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the last screenshot is when the computer cannot find boot able media it boots the network card to attempt to boot from the network even if no connection; been there, done that. Have a look at this guide I have just found:

I have also sort of finding the solution using testdisk but also need to know what i am looking for. It seems like Ubuntu deactivate certain file system before installing but because it was not installed.. it also locked the volume and change it to lvm system. I am still playing around with it and see if I can get some files back or just c drive. Otherwise luckily I do have easeus backup on the hdd. So the worse scenario would be reinstall windows and restore the image from 6th November ... So thanks for the link and will see if it helps once I can make the boot sector to be recognised at start up. You have been great ... And you wouldn't be by any chance know the support team for ultimate ? I still haven't reciced any feedback from them. And also I do realise it's a general Ubuntu issue and not zorin

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:47:22 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, the last screenshot is when the computer cannot find boot able media it boots the network card to attempt to boot from the network even if no connection; been there, done that. Have a look at this guide I have just found:

I have also sort of finding the solution using testdisk but also need to know what i am looking for. It seems like Ubuntu deactivate certain file system before installing but because it was not installed.. it also locked the volume and change it to lvm system. I am still playing around with it and see if I can get some files back or just c drive. Otherwise luckily I do have easeus backup on the hdd. So the worse scenario would be reinstall windows and restore the image from 6th November ... So thanks for the link and will see if it helps once I can make the boot sector to be recognised at start up. You have been great ... And you wouldn't be by any chance know the support team for ultimate ? I still haven't reciced any feedback from them. And also I do realise it's a general Ubuntu issue and not zorin

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:32:00 pm

I managed to fixed all my problems and got everything back. However I would recommend everyone to read this if they experience the same problem as I did... wanting to install Linux / Zorin with unallocated space but unable to do so due to limitation of maximum of 4 partitions on primary drive (laptop) if you have Windows on it already. http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2016/1 ... -free.html

Chefboyct

Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:33:31 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thanks for your help and I am not sure why my previous message was not posted (pending fro approval from Admin). However after playing with Testdisk under Windows Recovery and also combined with your website and suggestion. It took me about 4 good hours today to resolve all the issues and I have EVERYTHING Back. Woohoo! Thanks mate!

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:40:18 pm

No problemo friend. ;-)