This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 - Solution For No Sound

Zharkov

Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:56:48 pm

This worked for an Asus computer with i945G motherboard chip and Intel integrated sound, which showed up as "digital sound" in "Settings-Sound" but no sound was produced at all after installing Zorin 12.0 and there was no alternative or way to change it in the "Settings - Sound" page. The solution was surprisingly simple.

Instead of looking in "Settings - Sound", where you have few options, click on your menu, go to "Software" (the software manager) as if you were going to install new software, then at the top of that page set the view to "installed" then go to sound", click on "Launch" to change the settings for sound. It's about the last place you might expect to have sound settings for the OS but that's where mine were. I reset the sound to analog and immediately the sound started working.

The menu in "Settings - sound" showed only a digital sound setup rather than analog sound and there is no way to change it until you go to "Software - Installed - Sound" where the various options are.

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:15:38 pm

Zharkov wrote:This worked for an Asus computer with i945G motherboard chip and Intel integrated sound, which showed up as "digital sound" in "Settings-Sound" but no sound was produced at all after installing Zorin 12.0 and there was no alternative or way to change it in the "Settings - Sound" page. The solution was surprisingly simple.

Instead of looking in "Settings - Sound", where you have few options, click on "Software Manager", at the top of that page set the view to "installed" then go to sound" to change the settings for sound. It's about the last place you might expect to have sound settings for the OS but that's where mine were. I reset the sound to analog and immediately the sound started working.

The menu in "Settings - sound" showed only a digital sound setup rather than analog sound and there is no way to change it until you go to "Software Manager - Installed - Sound" where the various options are.

Great work and thanks for contributing - when I have more time I will move this thread to the correct location of 'How-tos and Tutorials' - 60 blue jewels to you friend! ;) :D

Socretes

Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:24:36 am

I have Zorin 12 Ultimate .. I can't find a 'Software Manager' ..only a 'Software Install' ..but in the --> 'Installed' list there is no 'Sound' ..closest thing would be a 'Sound Recorder'?? Any ideas?

star treker

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:07:45 am

In the software center, type in Synaptic. Install the Synaptic Package Manager. Then you will have a package install manager. ;)

Socretes

Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:37:46 am

Hi..thanks for that..but I had already installed Synaptic. Is there a specific sound manager you would recommend? I installed Pulse Audio Volume control and Pulse Audio volume meter (not sure if I actually had to install those). I can get sound working fine..like MP3's and internet video/sound fine etc..however its the menu sounds I am after (like on previous versions of Zorin). At the moment - nothing. Any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37:34 pm

Now you are a bit more clearer, the answer to that will be no - why? because Zorin no longer uses the modified version of GnoMenu - ZorinMenu. The menu is more like Cinammon/Mate. ;) :D

star treker

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:26:46 pm

I like cinammon sticks, spicy sweet goodness........Sorry I just had to say it teehee :D

Socretes

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:08:55 am

Ah.. ok thanks for that..makes sense. :)

Zharkov

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:22:31 am

Updated Zorin 12 (major update) and lost sound again - but did the same procedure as above, reset for proper analog sound, and sound is back on again.
Note:
Be sure you DO NOT click on "REMOVE".
Only click on the opposite side where it says "Sound", never on the remove box.