This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

GNOME 2 or MATE Desktop in Zorin 12

zoringroup21

Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:49:30 am

Folks!

It has been a true pleasure to have Zorin for some last 8 years now.

I've got marred that year and switched to Zorin ;-)

With Zorin 12 installed on several computers in our offices and home I have screaming girls demanding "old" GNOME look of simplistic top panel or switch it back to windows look - I hate to do so.

I have no LIGHTEST desire to use GNOME-3 for work, productivity environment and I WILL NOT use Windows look, even if I get paid monthly.

Please kindly give us a clear picture if MATE (preferred) or discontinued GNOME 2 desktops will be added to Zorin Appearance.

PS. Sometime ago I received a suggestion from Artyom:

"You can pin an app to the taskbar in Zorin OS 12 by opening the app, right-clicking on its taskbar icon and selecting "Add to Favorites".

Спасибо, не надо!

Hell, I do not see fast and productive to click Activities to get to the vertical Taskbar and scroll it. I need simplicity and speed.

Take "GNOME 2 or MATE " - call it "Productivity" look, whatever, but give it to us - who are here not for childish animations of flying icons. Put it next to current Activities, along with Places.

:(

Thank you again.

PPS. Look at my Avatar - this is EXACTLY what i feel about Zorin 12.

Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:45:01 pm

Hi, I can only offer you two solutions:

1. Install Cinammon DE which I covered elsewhere with screenshots.

2. Install Cairo-Dock DE - you can make it look how you want and move panels around freely and 'detach' icons in the panel to be on the desktop.

;) :D