This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Editing partitions of HDD in Zorin 12

ian4238

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:03:48 pm

I recently installed Zorin 12, as a dualboot with Win7.
When I installed Zorin 9 I was offered a "slider" to change the sizes of each partition. Zorin 12 did not offer that, and I find that my Win7 partition that I don't use, is far too large. I would like to move 60GB from there to my Zorin partition, but looking at the new "Disks" setup, I can't see how to do this. I'm afraid I may mess up the whole HDD, or lose my Win7. "GParted" doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Another point is icons on the desktop. In Zorin 9 I was able to reduce the size to about the same as in Windows 7.
(I use the desktop for attachments etc downloaded. When I have read or actioned them I delete them or save to a folder. Nothing gets lost or forgotten.) I have tried right-clicking each item, but they will only increase in size. I tried on the Files page as well (4 dots), but they are already at minimum size. The present icons are so big they are ugly and distracting, and cover about half the desktop. If they can't be shrunk I suppose I will have to find a new system.
This is great pity, as my Zorin 9 desktop looked very neat and tidy.
(The new Weather and the Maps apps are very good.)

star treker

Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:50:47 pm

I could be wrong about this, but one of the first questions the Zorin OS 12 install will ask you is what you want to do. LVM is supposed to allow you to easily resize partitions later if need be, and getting the updates during install is always a good idea. The last option is called something like try something else. That is where you are supposed to be able to create and alter partitions I believe.

Regarding icons, their size can be adjust a couple of different ways. The easiest way is to use zoom controls. Holding down CTRL and hitting the + and - signs will adjust the size of the icons on your desktop.

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:41:32 pm

I've never used LVM, but I think I will make the next root partition 50 Gb instead of 30 Gb as running out of space in 11. I was always under the impression you can shrink partitions in GNU/Linux but never increase their size. ;) :D

ian4238

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:15:34 am

Thanks for the replies.
I have looked at a bit of the info about LVM - it is beyond my level of competence! If eventually someone can give me exact instructions, I may try to edit the partition sizes, but otherwise it can stay as it is.

Regarding icons on the desktop, I am referring to the icons you get if you download an attachment to an email, and save on the Desktop. I tried highlighting an icon, then holding down CTRL, then hitting + or - signs, both in the qwerty keyboard and on the numbers side. There was no result at all. As far as I can see, the default size of the icons is the minimum. In Zorin 9 I was able to reduce the icon size to about 2mm X 3mm or even less, and also the font size of the file names. When I put Zorin 12 Beta on my 11" notebook, this was not noticeable on such a small screen.

svx-biker

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:49:21 pm

As I remember you should use Windows to reduce the size of the Windows partition.

After that you can move/resize the Zorin partition(s). However, you'll need to run Zorin from a USB or DVD as the partitions in use (when running from the harddisk) cannot be moved.

ian4238

Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:56:00 pm

I realise that not many people seem to interested in the size of icons on the desktop. For me it is important, as I use Desktop icons as part of my personal system. If you have up to 12 files (=extra large icons) on the desktop, it is hard to concentrate and downright ugly. As Nautilus now offers only large size icons, I changed my File Manager from Nautilus to Nemo (as used by Mint). In Mint 18 you can adjust size of icons using dconf-editor, but in Zorin 12 it refuses to change anything. This seems to be an unfixable problem - I have spent too much time on something so basic, caused by Nautilus, so after using Zorin 4-Core, 6-Ultimate, 9-Ultimate and finally 12-Ultimate, I have decided to switch to Mint. Well first I have to backup about 20GB of files(again). I'm also trying Linux Lite on my 11" notebook, until the new Zorin Lite arrives.

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:22:51 pm

I have just recently come to some knowledge about another configuration tool that will allow you to alter the size of your icons. But in order to install the configuration tool, you must first have Synaptic Package Manager installed. Then while in SPM, run a search for KDE Config Touchpad. Its description is just transitional dummy package. Install that, it will take a bit so be patient. Once installed, the configuration tool can be found in the system settings section. Or just type KDE System Settings. There is a lot of options in this app but only make changes to things that you know what they do.

Once in the app, double click Icons, then click on the advanced tab. You will see icon size adjustment right there. ;)

ian4238

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:04:25 am

Many thanks for the advice. Today I got a suggestion from Zorin Team to try: "Nemo 3.2. with Unity patches and without Cinnamon Dependencies available in new PPA for Ubuntu 16.04 and 16.10 " from Webupd8.org
The previous download had been for Ubuntu with some fixes for Ubuntu only, and did not work for Zorin. The new download worked immediately, once installed and set as Default:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team//nemo3
sudo apt update
sudo apt install nemo

Then to set it as default:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background show-desktop-icons false
xdg-mime default nemo.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search

Afterwards, I went to System Tools>dconf Editor>org>nemo>icon view>double clicked to change to Small/smaller/smallest
Also unticked 'Leave it at default.'

The captions (text) can be adjusted in Zorin Appearance - Font. The Home folders were initially in Nemo's brown colour, but have now reverted to Zorin's blue ones. But everything works.
So now I reckon I can use Zorin 12 with Nemo as File Manager until the next LT version.

star treker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:40:39 am

Thanks for the update, and for providing instructions on how to do that, so if someone else wishes to do the same, they will know how to do it! ;) I have had good luck with Zorin premium support, I had a driver issue regarding my system that they solved. It also uncovered a new issue as well that I have sort of given up on, but at least I have a driver running compatible with both my system and OS thanks to Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:45:40 pm

Hi fellow forum members - can we stay on topic? I know I have been guilty of this - if you have some advice post in How tos and tutorials! This thread is about partitioning and nothing else. I am thankful for the information provided but would be helpful to others if you start your own How-to topic in that section for the benefit of visitors who should not have to trawl by search that does not always work.

Many thanks.

This topic is now [LOCKED]! ;)