This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

need some help please.

SoftHeart

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:16:19 pm

I was told to make my own thread, I don't know if this works or not, but I'm giving it a go.

I bought Zorin 12 Ultimate, downloaded, hash checked, (it was good) unzipped, burned ISO to Blank CDROM disk, (also to a usb) installed, and I get a "Grub Rescue" every boot. I have repeated the steps, tried many times, all without success. I do not know enough about Grub to use the rescue menu, over half of the commands I find online do not work, I have tried "Boot-Repair" as well as read all CFG files to try to understand what/why it will not work. Only thing I can find is there is no option to install to a removable disk, and I am not going to install beside my only working OS, Windows 7...

Here is the short version;

I have one primary drive on my laptop, an Intel 80G SSD, which houses the prime OS, Windows 7 Ultimate,
I also have 2 USB removable drives, WD 1TB Passport, and WD 500G My Book, along with sevral flash drives with Zorin OS on them.

Now, only the Primary (Intel 80G SSD), WD Passport (1TB), and WD My Book (500G) are attached all the time. My BIOS has a boot menu to allow booting from any I choose. I did have Zorin 12 Beta installed to the Passport, it worked fine, I could choose from the BIOS boot menu which OS I wanted to boot, and all was good. I replaced (exact same steps I took with Beta) the Z12Beta with Z12Ultimate, and now I get "Grub Rescue" every time.

Before anyone thinks folly, consider this; "I have been installing the Zorin OS to this exact same location from Zorin 6 to now 12, with no troubles, until this Zorin 12 Ultimate."

So, how do I get this to understand where it's installed, and how do I fix it?

Swarfendor437

Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:59:26 pm

Hi, the issue could be where you placed GRUB in the first place. Here is what I would do.

Before we start, disconnect all USB connected drives and ensure you can still boot into Windows.

1. Using the same drive Beta was on:

A. Delete all partitions on the drive so it is 'bare', run the installer using 'something else' method.

B. Create a new '/boot' partition, mark it as such, formatted to 'ext4' of 512 Mb in size.

C. Create immediately afer the /boot partition '/' of 30720 (30 Gb), formatted as Primary and 'ext4' file system.

D. Create an extended partition and firstly at the END of it make 4096 Mib 'swap area'

E. Whatever is left in front of the 'swap area' mark as '/home' and format to 'ext4'

F. Install Zorin to '/' and choose '/boot' as your GRUB location.

2. Boot into windows, go to NeoSmart Technologies (http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/) and scroll down for the Free version - and install it. Run the program once installed - it will backup your existing mbr - now you can add other OS's in the Edit Menu by adding Linux and search for the partition size of '/' as to the location of where you want the mbr to add an entry to boot to. You will need to ensure you choose GRUB2 as the option where it asks for it:

https://vimeo.com/110085401 (1 hour 25 minutes in) - the current version of EasyBCD is 2.3.