This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 And Wobbly Windows

delunsford123

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:17:23 pm

Last time I installed Zorin OS was several years ago and it had wobbly windows... which I thought was very cool. That was version 4 or 5 I think. I am looking now at Zorin 12. How can I get wobbly windows in Zorin 12 ??

qnarkill

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:24:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi74PLJ8Quw
would this be what your looking for..

star treker

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:45:17 pm

Please note that Zorin OS 12 runs on gnome shell, as such those kind of enhancements I don't think will work. But I'd be happy if I was proven wrong on that. I did like the wobbly windows in OS9 and I used Compis to choose my settings. Again, I don't think you can do that with OS 12.

delunsford123

Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:56:50 pm

Thanks for sharing this video... I will try this with Zorin 12...

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:55:24 pm

Compiz is what you are looking for! ;) :D

star treker

Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:57:02 pm

Wait a minute, you telling me Compiz works on OS12? Well what the heck have I been doing sitting on my a** for? I need to shake my boosters loose yeehaa Compiz here I come WOOT! :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:01:14 pm

i haven't tried it yet but did have it working in 11! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:12:23 pm

star treker

Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:29:29 pm

I already installed it bro But link will be helpful to others none the less ;)

What I did is I installed compiz through the Synaptic Package Manager. Then when I couldn't find it on my system I was like, ha, thats weird. So I went to the software center and searched Compiz, thats when I saw the Compiz configuration tool. So I installed that then wala, there was compiz. So I went through the list of stuff, there isn't a whole lot, and its all pretty much all enabled already. There isn't any wobbly windows option, which I kind of feared, Zorin OS12 is based off of Gnome shell 3, which is completely different from what Zorin OS 9 used.

qnarkill

Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:10:02 pm

In my 16.10 ubuntu hybrid @ cairo-dock (lightdm) works like a charm. ;)

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:21:22 am

Done the same as qnarkil in Zorin 12. Ignore my last post - had the same issue - when using the terminal it stated that there was a different window manager already in place and to try to use compiz --replace - which sent the system haywire.

I decided to remove all things Zorin (and my GRUB still does not show, just a blank frame) and now I have wobbly windows and fire paint but not 3d cube!

Screenshot from 2016-12-01 00-12-36.jpg

[UPDATE] forgot to add that I also installed Gnome fully to get to this too!

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

star treker

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:25:02 am

Swarf, I am really sorry to hear that things got messed up, yes that looks like a MAC OS dock gone wrong lol. However, I love that 3D clock on your desktop very cool. I was going to ask you if there were any Linux apps that are clock based like that, anything more cute like that panguin? lol

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:49:50 pm

That is not a Mac Panel gone wrong - you can move the icons together so you could end up with an early Zorin look alike desktop. That clock is part of Cairo-Dock which comes as a standard clock face in roughly that position - it come with that penguin clock theme.

Anyhoo I managed to brick my Zorin 12 - just have to do a reinstall and try again. Compiz is important part of any distro, primarily for its accessibility features that are not available elsewhere:

See my Accessibility in Compiz on veoh.com - just search for my user name which is the same as on here. ;) :D

qnarkill

Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:01:25 pm

I was going to ask you if there were any Linux apps that are clock based like that, anything more cute like that panguin? lo

screenlets gives you tons of widgets and you can create more yourself
even the update icon is there which somebody missed in some thread :lol: