This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 - Taking another look ...

toerag

Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:34:57 pm

I have been looking for an alternate OS to going to Windows 10.

I've tried Zorin in the past, with mixed results.

Just Installed OS 12 - can't figure out how to create icons on desktop like in Windows 7.

did a search and fouind referecnecs to a Windows 7 Mode on earlier versions where you just drag the icon from the start menu -- NOT ... ?

help me like this enough to switch please..

HELP

star treker

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:14:08 am

Click on Zorin icon, then go to settings, then go to Zorin Appearence. On the desktop tab, scroll down and you will see a switch to turn icons on the desktop, then put checkmarks in the boxes. Regarding putting new icons on the desktop from program installs which don't already do so, I haven't figured that out yet. There is a send to option in the shell, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it. Anyways, hope this helps.

toerag

Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55:43 am

star treker wrote:Click on Zorin icon, then go to settings, then go to Zorin Appearence. On the desktop tab, scroll down and you will see a switch to turn icons on the desktop, then put checkmarks in the boxes. Regarding putting new icons on the desktop from program installs which don't already do so, I haven't figured that out yet. There is a send to option in the shell, but it doesn't seem to do anything when I click on it. Anyways, hope this helps.

Thanks , I was hoping for apps...

I did install "Docky" and that seems to work well.....

toerag

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:17:18 pm

Another thing I can't seem to find out...

If I open a share from another PC or NAS it places a shortcut on the desktop, however if I reboot the computer it's gone. Is there a way to make those 'stick' between boots?

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:04:14 pm

This is for Ubuntu with Unity so not sure if you will get it working without installing the rest of Gnome and Unity:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-14-04/

Socretes

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:07:17 pm

Docky is a good dock, but Cairo-dock is better looking and is more user-'tweakable' with useful addons. etc (Menu -> System Tools -> Software -> (search for Cairo-dock)

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:31:35 am

BTW, I learned how to create shortcut to applications on the desktop. Go to where the application is located on your hard drive. Hold down CTRL and SHIFT keys, while clicking and hold while dragging the application file to the desktop. Walla, shortcut created! Now all you gotta do is right click on your shortcut to rename it as you like. :D