This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Steam & Dolphin

Eric87

Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:32:47 pm

I'm loving Zorin OS at the moment. It's probably the most polished and professional distro I've used and I've used them all. I'm determined to stick with it for two weeks and if it all goes well, pay for the Ultimate version and then stick with that for at least 6 months, or at least until the next Ultimate version comes out. I'm sick to death of distro hopping. It's so unproductive and it wastes so much time. I just want to stick with one solid distro to get my s*** done on.

The only single problem I've had with Zorin, and I understand this is not specific to Zorin but Ubuntu 16.04, is that I can't get steam to work. I install it, click on it, and nothing, it doesn't move. This is the single problem I've come across. I've looked for solutions online and they're all specific to Ubuntu and none of them seem to work. I was hoping someone on the forums could offer some help or guidance.

I was also wondering whether there were any plans to integrate the Dolphin file manager at any point. It is by far the most feature rich file manager in the world. It's the only thing I'm missing about my Maui KDE set up at the moment. If there are no future plans with Dolphin I'll try and get it going myself, if I can't then I'll abandon it.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:52:09 pm

Have you tried any method given here?.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2016/06/inst ... -16-04-lts

star treker

Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:40:48 am

Zorin OS 12 is the newest just released OS. OS 9 was released in 2014 from what I understand. Which means it will probably be another 2 to 3 years for the next OS, so I'd set your sights to keeping that OS a little longer on your computer lol. Also Ultimate is way worth it, not only is the OS loaded with more apps and games, but you also get more customisable options in the OS, and you get premium customer support from Zorin. The light version of the OS is mainly for those who only need their computer to surf the web, the ultimate version is for people like me who like to use their computer for everything lol.

qnarkill

Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27:34 am

Start steam from terminal to look what error messages you get. This reminds me from the problem i had with my antergos install.

Eric87

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:41:54 pm

Hey, thanks for the replies! I've just ran Steam from the terminal using this command from the link Sworfendor437 provided; LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' steam

I keep getting the following error message in the terminal still;

LD_PRELOAD='/usr/$LIB/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libxcb.so.1 /usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' steam
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgcc_s.so.1' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

and this is the error message I was getting previously when I typed 'Steam' in the terminal;

libGL error: unable to load driver : nouveau_dri.so
libGL error: driver pointer missing
libGL error: unable to load driver : nouveau
libGL error: unable to load driver : swrast_dri.so
libGL error: unable to load driver : swrast

This problem is widespread in Ubuntu 16.04. I never encountered it at all in my Ubuntu 16.10 partition. I know Zorin is based on Ubuntu 16.04 and I was wondering whether I could update that base to 16.10 as a permanent fix. You can probably tell I'm not the mist technically minded.

I've updated to Zorin OS 12 Ultimate and I'm loving the unity theme. Happy to say I can stick with this for a long time. Steam has been my only problem, and Dolphin File Manager is the only thing I've missed coming from KDE.

qnarkill

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:25:14 pm

Eric87

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:26:48 pm

So I thought it was fixed, but after installing Steam and then Civ 5 nothing happens. Again, I have no problems on my Ubuntu 16.10 partition. This is is the output from the terminal;

>>> Adding process 5685 for game ID 8930
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libgpg-error.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/hawke/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
/home/hawke/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/./Civ5XP: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv120__si_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/hawke/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/./Civ5XP: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv117__class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
/home/hawke/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/./Civ5XP: Symbol `_ZTVN10__cxxabiv121__vmi_class_type_infoE' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking
>>> Adding process 5686 for game ID 8930
>>> Adding process 5687 for game ID 8930
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Game removed: AppID 8930 "Sid Meier's Civilization V", ProcID 5685
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

star treker

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:27:18 pm

Steam can be installed in Wine using Play On Linux ;)

Eric87

Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:59:44 pm

Star Treker, you're right, it can. But it is hit and miss with regards to getting games working. I have Windows games which play in Wine yet won't actually play on my Windows partition! Yet there are other games which have problems. CIV 4 colonization for instance. Took a bit of tinkering to fix the resolution to my ultra wide monitor 2560x1080, only to have the game refuse to load up. Frustrating. I would rather just use the Linux version of steam.

star treker

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32:28 pm

c*** man I am severely disapointed with that right now. I installed Steam in Wine using Play On Linux, worked perfectly. Then I installed Plants Vs Zombies, very simple game. Everytime I jump into the game, either Wine, Steam, or the game itself switches my sound ouput profile back to speakers instead of HDMI, its really freaking irratating. And I know about hit or miss, most windows tripple A games can't be run in Wine as the developers are total aholes for only being exclusive to Windows instead of porting their games to all systems.