This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Screenlets installation and splution for Zorin 12

Chefboyct

Sat Dec 03, 2016 2:02:25 am

Hi all,

Newbie here again asking some random questions. I have been quite successfully loaded a few softwares and email clients so I can now perform day to day task on my Zorin instead of windows 10. I am quite proud of myself. But now I would like to install some nice widget just for fun and I came across something called Screenlets. I believe it is quite an old project and I followed and googled to the T .. downloading from https://launchpad.net/screenlets and everything installed ok... (sudo apt install screenlets manager and widgets commands just don't work). and I used this link to install. http://askubuntu.com/questions/793006/s ... ock-widget
and now I reached the bottle neck where it says ...

chefboyct@ChefboyctZorin:~$ screenlets &
[1] 26552
chefboyct@ChefboyctZorin:~$ Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/screenlets-manager/screenlets-manager.py", line 34, in <module>
import screenlets
ImportError: No module named screenlets

[1]+ Exit 1 screenlets

Is anyone here running screenlets and manage to have it work ? what is your solution and suggestion on this? It will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

star treker

Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:34:42 am

Its interesting that you brought this up, as somebody told me about screenlets being a good choices for desktop widgets and the like. However, when I did a search for screenlets in the Synaptic Package Manager, it didn't find no such software. Then I did a search in the software center for screenlets, and again, it found no such software. So I gave up after that. Its not that screenlets is a project that doesn't exist, I just think that indeed its a very old project and is probably not supported in Zorin OS 12. And this is why I couldn't find it in the repositories. In other words, I actually recommend against trying to force install it from a third party website, as doing so could possibly damage the OS.

However, it seems like your system protected you from that by denying you with an error, so I think your good. I know thats probably the news you didn't want to hear but its the facts, and the fact is I couldn't find it to install it either so probably a good thing at this point lol. BTW, I am quite proud of you as well for switching to Zorin Linux and setting it up so its useful for you, and not selling your soul to the Microsoft devil :D

Chefboyct

Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:55:31 am

star treker wrote:Its interesting that you brought this up, as somebody told me about screenlets being a good choices for desktop widgets and the like. However, when I did a search for screenlets in the Synaptic Package Manager, it didn't find no such software. Then I did a search in the software center for screenlets, and again, it found no such software. So I gave up after that. Its not that screenlets is a project that doesn't exist, I just think that indeed its a very old project and is probably not supported in Zorin OS 12. And this is why I couldn't find it in the repositories. In other words, I actually recommend against trying to force install it from a third party website, as doing so could possibly damage the OS.

However, it seems like your system protected you from that by denying you with an error, so I think your good. I know thats probably the news you didn't want to hear but its the facts, and the fact is I couldn't find it to install it either so probably a good thing at this point lol. BTW, I am quite proud of you as well for switching to Zorin Linux and setting it up so its useful for you, and not selling your soul to the Microsoft devil :D

There are a lot of ways to install a software other than just looking through software centre or apt get repository. Anyways, I still wish to get it right so I can have these widget.. does anyone else know of a possible solution or would recommend something else ? Much appreciated

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:36:49 pm

Hi, Take a look here:

http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html

sadly the archive of gDesklets is no longer available! :(

Chefboyct

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:58:15 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Take a look here:

http://adesklets.sourceforge.net/desklets.html

sadly the archive of gDesklets is no longer available! :(

Thanks man and will look into it. Just looks screenlets has a lot of nice apps and looking ones . XD

qnarkill

Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:38:19 pm

Chefboyct

Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:11:13 am

qnarkill wrote:http://askubuntu.com/questions/845867/how-to-install-screenlets-on-ubuntu-16-10 ;)

Thanks qnarkill... this worked like a CHARM! Excellent suggestion and solutions and it seems like it has been kept up to date!

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:17:12 pm

Nice find qnarkill - 120 blue jewels - 60 for the solution and 60 for helping out frequently. ;) :D

star treker

Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:34:27 pm

So is it a gurrantee that if I go to that link it will allow me to install screenlets and get fancy thingies to do fancy thingies? Swarf, please be a good oh boy and be todays ginny pig to be the second tester of that LOL :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:20:54 am

I followed the instructions (as far as I can tell) but it needs dependencies (python) that are not compatible with this version of Zorin - when attempting the 'fix' solution it just uninstalls the screenlets package whether it is basic or all! :lol:

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:20:47 am

See, I knew it had to be too good to be true, thats why I wanted a seasoned user like yourself to try it first. Thank God it didn't brick your system though. Well, its what I feared, I guess its time for you and I both to move onto maybe some new type of widget system that is actually updated to work on Ubuntu 16.04

qnarkill

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:44:49 am

Bummer that it did not workout for you guys all. Im using those fine with my 16.10 hybrid. :roll: This is the reason i enjoy linux so much as you can alter everything to your own needs.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:34:35 pm

http://www.noobslab.com/2015/04/gis-wea ... d-now.html

Good place to start star treker but be careful to read the feedback below - it made me think that why some Weather widgets not working could well be down to the fact that you need to sign up for an account with the weather provider - thnk I'll just stick head out window, wet thumb and hold up! :lol:

Chefboyct

Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:26:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:http://www.noobslab.com/2015/04/gis-weather-widget-updated-and-now.html

Good place to start star treker but be careful to read the feedback below - it made me think that why some Weather widgets not working could well be down to the fact that you need to sign up for an account with the weather provider - thnk I'll just stick head out window, wet thumb and hold up! :lol:

I tried it and screenlets worked... but then too many widgets are outdated and not working so I decided to play around with Conky... holy molly.. it took me a while but finally I figured out how to ADJUST ONE SCRIPT! LOL... and it is working to the way I like it... until I find something else. It is amazing how quickly things get updated in Linux and developer who created these scripts even forgot about to update their instructions or how system changes internally so script has to be adjusted accordingly. This is my screen shot for now and I need to go and tackle Accuweather script later ..

Strange the Print screen doesnt show the Conky script... ! :(

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:59:43 pm

Chefboyct wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:http://www.noobslab.com/2015/04/gis-weather-widget-updated-and-now.html

I tried it and screenlets worked... but then too many widgets are outdated and not working so I decided to play around with Conky... holy molly.. it took me a while but finally I figured out how to ADJUST ONE SCRIPT! LOL... and it is working to the way I like it... until I find something else. It is amazing how quickly things get updated in Linux and developer who created these scripts even forgot about to update their instructions or how system changes internally so script has to be adjusted accordingly. This is my screen shot for now and I need to go and tackle Accuweather script later ..

Checkout madvinegar's guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2316

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:27:27 am

Screen lets us down, whatever shall we do? Move on as we always do, and find another app to satisfy our needs of convenience. ;)

Chefboyct

Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:13:27 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:
Chefboyct wrote:

Checkout madvinegar's guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2316

Thanks and I will look into it again some time. I managed to get the one I liked Sidebar to work and I actually figured out .. but Accuweather one I have... I am pulling my hairs out as I am no developer... and it can be quite a challenge to hack. However it looks amazing from the screenshot they attached. so if I can make it work.. then it would be great!