This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

keyboard freezes on restart

WILT

Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:16:24 pm

Hi guys . I have just loaded 12 onto a Sony Vario laptop and its super but when I close the lid if I try to restart I get the plain page with the clock which scrolls up to a black page with a field requiring a passport entry . Trouble is the keyboard does not respond , so I have to re-boot and then it all works again.

star treker

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:17:05 pm

This sounds like similar glitches I ran into regarding screen lock and suspend issues right after initial install. There have been several updates since its release. Click on the Zorin logo on the panel, type in search software, click on software & updates. On the first tab, change download location to Main Server. When it asks to reload the updates list, let it do so. Afterwords close it then click on the Zorin logo on the panel again and then click on software right above settings. Once in the software center you will see an updates tab, click on that tab, and then install all updates. Afterwords restart your computer. After your back into the OS, check for updates once more to make sure you got them all.

This insures that you have any recent bugs fixed. And also keep in mind that you can adjust screen lock and suspend in the power section under settings. You can also use Ubuntu Tweak to adjust more settings not found in the OS settings panel. Let us know if we can be of further assistance to you, I am always glad to help.

qnarkill

Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:38:00 pm

could it be issue in power management? would you try switching it to do nothing when lid is closed.-
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... id-closed/

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:26:39 pm

I think qnarkill could well be onto something as GNU/Linux has always had issues in respect of hibernating and other power issues in general - just one of those things sadly where GNU/Linux has issues - not forgetting that most notebooks are designed/patented for Windows! Nuff said. ;)

WILT

Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:17:16 pm

Thanks guys ,
busy right now but will try your suggestions when I get a minute and I will get back to you