This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 12 Core is slow on new computers.

Hensyr Wolf

Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:58:45 pm

Hi there,

I have a strange question where i'm not sertain where to put that question on the forum.
So i put it here.

On the Dutch community forum of Zorin OS i have people complaining that Zorin OS 12 Core is much slower and some have no problems about speed.
Now i have Zorin OS 12 Core on an old Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.5 GHz computer and Zorin OS 12 Core 32-bit runs smooth and fast like a train.
Others have a more modern computer with an i5 processor and Zorin OS 12 core is realy slow.

What could be the difference or the problem that cause to slow running Zorin OS?

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:24:26 pm

Hi Hensyr, there might be a clue here?:

http://www.williambharding.com/blog/tec ... usly-slow/

Also need to check any BIOS settings to do with Ethernet, Bluetooth etc - also check the usual 'startup' applications, if any.

Update - interesting article over several pages here:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... =397&num=2

Hensyr Wolf

Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:29:38 pm

I'm not totally agree.
Most people who install Zorin just follow the instructions.
They do not have the know-how to adjust the BIOS settings.
I think rather that Zorin OS just has to run smoothly even on newer computers.

star treker

Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:31:03 pm

OK real quickly, OS 12 is using Gnome Shell 3. What you may not be aware of is Gnome Shell 3 is a resource hog. Just to run the OS it requires 1.6GB of memory, then as you run apps and stuff, the usage climbs to 3.6GB, and then heavy gaming might hit 4GB to 6GB. But at no time does it ever need as much as Windows. So point I am making is OS 12 would not be a good OS for somebody running a very old system, better stick with OS 9 for that.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:15:08 pm

star treker wrote:OK real quickly, OS 12 is using Gnome Shell 3. What you may not be aware of is Gnome Shell 3 is a resource hog. Just to run the OS it requires 1.6GB of memory, then as you run apps and stuff, the usage climbs to 3.6GB, and then heavy gaming might hit 4GB to 6GB. But at no time does it ever need as much as Windows. So point I am making is OS 12 would not be a good OS for somebody running a very old system, better stick with OS 9 for that.

Even with 9, old kit will have issues - one of the nicest lightweight distros out there is Solyd X Community Stable edition:

https://solydxk.com/downloads/community-editions/

It does not have PAE enabled - one of the few distributions that has - ideal for older kit. :D

Hensyr Wolf

Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:05:34 am

hey guys, we stray from the topic.
It's not about older computers, the point is that Zorin OS Core 12 is slower on newer computers.
This comes to computers, for example an i5 processor.

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:38:40 am

Apparently skylake processors need special GRUB parameters:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/829508/u ... y-sluggish

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:41:41 am

It would also appear that Wintel don't want you to run anything other than Windows:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/691216/n ... intel-proc

star treker

Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:39:17 am

Yo!

I never ever said that Gnome 3 didn't run slow on newer computer's. I know its a resource hog, but keep in mind that Zorin OS 12 was released November of 2016, nearly 2017, I really can't imagine someone really wanting to run OS 12 on an old I3-I5 dual core. My computer is an I7 Quad core running at 2.2GHZ, with turbo up to 3GHZ. And My notebook came with 8GB of memory which I upgraded to 16GB for heavy gaming needs. While system monitor does show 1.6GB of memory used while idle, that is still far less then Windows 7 requires running idle.

I think that many Linux users are too used to their Linux distro's using less then 1GB of ram, but always remember that Windows uses so much more so its really not that bad. If you have an older I3-I5 dual core, I'd recommend maybe OS 9 as a better solution. I previously recommended OS 12 core for older computers but I am starting to rethink that based on my observations of Gnome Shell 3 requirements. And maybe OS 6 would be best for much older computers, like Pentium 4's and possibly Pentium III's.

EDIT: There also appears to be a bug with gnome shell in regards to Ubuntu 16.04. It effects many users and so its not an isolated case. I discovered it because gnome shell is using 100% CPU usage. I found this out by looking at my CPU load in Htop. Now the reason it wasn't obvious at first is because I am running a quad core machine, and as such, its doing what it was designed to do, span the CPU load over the several cores, so the system doesn't bog down. So its a known bug thus I am hoping that it gets fixed soon.

Restarting your computer will probably get things sped up for awhile anyways so ya. Swarf, what do you think of all the bugs in 16.04? lol :lol: