This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Make Desktop Icons smaller

tommykry

Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:18:58 am

Hi all, just installed Zorin OS 12 core and so far so good, great job nice looking and smooth, my question is, is there anyway to make the desktop icons smaller? I have them set to the smallest size using the slider that gives you 3 positions and they are still huge at the smallest settings? I have dconf editor installed as well hoping somewhere in there i could change it but was not able too.
thanks!
Tommy

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:26:46 am

Users having similar issues in Ubuntu 16.04 - see if last suggestion on this thread works and let us know:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/774418/m ... -differnet

tommykry

Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:29:28 am

Thanks for the reply, i tried the recommended links but icons are still more big than i prefer or used too, i think these sizes are normal as i installed it on another laptop to check and the icons are large too so i think this is the stock size intended?
I was hoping i could get them smaller than the smallest size allowed?
Anyway thank you and if anyone else has any suggestions or tweaks i could do i would appreciate it.
My laptop screen resolution is 1280x800 and other distros i can get the icons smaller.
Thanks,
Tommy

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:06:32 am

star treker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:40:20 am

Since becoming aware of KDE configuration tool, I have been recommending to people because you can change some things that you can't with deconf. Install Synaptic Package Manager through the software center. Then go into Synaptic Package Manager and search for KDE-Config-Touchpad. Its description will be transitional dummy package. Install that, it will take awhile so be patient. Once installed, click on the Zorin logo on the panel, then under system settings, you will find KDE System Settings. Once in the app, navigate to Icons. Then click on the Advanced tab, and walla, icon size changer!

Just a little FYI, I on the other hand had to increase the icon size, as when your viewing on a 47" LED tv from 8 feet away, its hard to see the default size of anything on my screen, so I gotta enlarge icons and text for me lol.

tommykry

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:07:32 pm

Thanks guys i'll check out both the methods when i get a sec and report back!
Thanks,
Tommy

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:25:40 pm

OK! For me, Hold down Left Ctrl+ backwards on wheel mouse makes them small! ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:14:35 am

[UPDATE]:

Just found another source of changing icon size.

1. Install Gnome Tweak Tool via Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T):

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

This places 'Tweak Tool' in 'System Tools':

System Tools Tweak Tool.jpg

2. Launch Tweak Tool and go to 'Extensions' in the left Pane.

3. In the right pane, scroll down to 'Zorin Dash' and click on the 'cog' to open 'Zorin Dash Settings':

Limit icon size.jpg

Notice there is also a settinig for those lucky people who have more than one monitor in the top window of the same panel! :D

ian4238

Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:02:26 am

I wish I had waited a few more days for this collection of icon size solutions.
I posted my solution of installing Nemo as File Manager under "Editing partitions of HDD in Zorin 12". The last solution above seems to be the easiest, but my Nemo system is working well now, and can reduce the icons to Small/ smaller/ smallest. I found smaller was best for me.

tommykry

Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:15:43 am

Thanks guys for the replies,
Swarfendor437, yes if i hold Ctrl + mouse wheel yes it does change the size of the icons but for me the size is from huge to giant to big so that is all working, it just i'm used to the smallest size being smaller than the smallest size in zorin os 12.
I installed the Gnome Tweak Tool as you suggested and followed your steps and it seems that should have worked but icon sizes stay the same 3 sizes no matter what setting i use, i have rebooted several time after making the changes hoping that would do it but they still stay large at the smallest setting? i could be doing something wrong but i followed your steps exactly?
Star treker i haven't tried your method yet.
Anyway thanks i appreciate the help, I'll keep messing with it.
Thanks,
Tommy

Del369

Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:07:20 pm

Postby ian4238 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:02 am
I wish I had waited a few more days for this collection of icon size solutions.
I posted my solution of installing Nemo as File Manager under "Editing partitions of HDD in Zorin 12". The last solution above seems to be the easiest, but my Nemo system is working well now, and can reduce the icons to Small/ smaller/ smallest. I found smaller was best for me.

I was horrified to find Nautilus had been butchered, I found the "WebUPD" solution for installing Nemo (might have been from your post :mrgreen: ) so glad I did, if it was from your post muchas gracias :)