This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How To Fix Panel Position?

star treker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:26:50 pm

Alright, now its happened to me and I am really annoyed. I installed Zorin OS 12 Ultimate 64-bit on my file server. I was using Gnome Tweak to reduce the amount of work spaces, as there is no need for 4 of them. All the sudden the desktop crashed to the login screen, then after I logged in, the panel was at the top of the screen, and as no surprise, Zorin's built in panel position changer didn't do a darn thing.

I currently have Gnome Tweak tool, Dconf, and KDE System Settings Configuration tool. Which one of these apps will allow me to get the panel back to the bottom, if even at all? And if that is not a solution, then what can I use to get the panel back on the bottom? Now since its the file server, won't be the end of the world if I have to live with it at top, but still, its annoying and I'd like to fix if possible.

Any help appreciated as always ;)

star treker

Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:21:57 pm

OK you guys, I am somebody who doesn't like to give up, and because of that, your all about to benefit from it. ;)

OK, number 1 and most important. Install Gnome Tweak from the software center. Once that is installed, log out. Now click on your name, but before putting in your password, click on the little gear icon and select Zorin-Desktop. Now once logged back in properly, start Gnome Tweak, it can be found under utilities. Click on extensions tab and scroll down till you see Zorin Panel. You will notice it was turned off. Turn it on. Watch how your panel pops to the bottom. Oh yes the sweet smell of success. Your all welcome! :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:27:16 pm

Hi, Can you please re-post in How-Tos please? Thanks. Once done I will delete this and your posts. Many thanks for the information! ;) :D

star treker

Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:00:06 am

Frankly its one thing after another with Zorin, and I have just lost all patience with it. One thing I can't stand is when I spend an entire day setting up a new drive, a new install, cracking bios issues, the last thing I want to be confronted with is unresolved glitches in an OS. But ok fair enough, I figured that out luckily and was able to move on. But see thats the thing, its never ending, now I can't even use networking, when both computers are running the exact same version of linux! I am just so tired of it. I just want something that works you know, and Zorin just isn't working out for me. Sad cause I had high hopes for it, even paid for it, but looks like its all just been a complete waste of time. ugg

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:58:09 am

star treker

Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:24:04 pm

I checked out all those links none of them help. I tried to follow directions on that one to manually link to a mounted partition on the second drive on the desktop, all it does is create a link to my local directory on the main linux partition. Frankly, I already can link to those volumes in the network share from my notebook, because I shared them. The problem is I can't access them. And I don't understand this Windows BS either cause there is no Windows OS on either computer!

But you know, glad the system brought up Windows, cause when in regards to networking, with Windows 7, all you gotta do is make sure that all windows computers are in the same home group for security reasons, and after that, networking just works in Windows. So this is a part of Linux I absolutely hate, because there is no reason for this BS. You can totally see that Zorin is able to see the volumes in the network shares, so you know they are there, it knows they are there, it just don't want to connect to them. And whats this deal with this password BS, I never set a password for the shares.

I am at the point now where I think what I will need to do is either reinstall Windows on the server, or rip the file server drive out of the server, buy an external drive enclosure, turn it into an external drive, then plug the dam thing into my router's share port. Ya, my router has two USB ports, one to share a printer, and another to share a networked drive. If you want people to switch to Linux, you gotta stop all the cumbersome BS.

Lord knows that I hate Windows when it comes to certain areas. But when it comes to the fact of how Windows just works, its far beyond Linux in that regard. So I put in a support ticket with Zorin last night. So if Zorin can't help me to get this going then thats it for Linux as an OS for a file server.

joemonty

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:33:42 pm

RE: Server in LINUX
I would suggest the following link for a samba server in UBUNTU 16.04:

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/sam ... ntu-16-04/

I have fount this site to be extremely useful.

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57:42 pm

Having looked again it looks like you have to set up both machines as server and client:

http://michaelminn.com/linux/home_network/

star treker

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:41:03 pm

Thanks guys for trying to help, but after spending another day on this whole ordeal I decided to give up. Linux is just not user friendly when it comes to certain things, networking is one of them. Back when I had Windows on my server, Zorin was able to access it just fine no problems, and I was pleased with that. But the difference is, now Zorin is running on the server, and I think the problem lies with the inherentness of the system being far too secure. Yes, I agree, some would say thats a good thing, that a person who connects to your network, can't just have full access anytime to another Linux computer.

However, Linux doesn't provide a GUI utility where you can adjust security for specific folders and or drives on the system to share only them successfully. Nautilus tries but fails miserably, but that could be due to the fact that Nautilus relies heavily on Ghome shell as I understand it, and if Gnome is buggy in any way, such as not letting you adjust permissions, then Nautilus will be just as unsuccessful as well as Samba for setting up a successful mounting of a network drive.

There are oodles of places online that you can find things you can do with the command line, but there is like 2 dozen things you gotta do, a full page of junk. And since I lack Linux experience, many of the things it mentions to do just goes beyond my head and I just don't understand, get frustrated and end up giving up. So if the system is so dam secure that a user can't even figure out how to relax the security, and or Gnome has a bug that provents you from changing folder/file/drive permissions, then a user won't get anywhere.

Its my opinion that Linux or at least Zorin isn't ready yet for Windows users to fully switch to Linux, and that much is obvious when it comes to lack of tripple a game support, but this networking bs is for the birds as they say. Easiest solution for me now is just to reinstall Windows. It will run faster too now that I got an SSD drive in it so it won't be too big of a deal. Gotta do what i gotta do to get going. Cause I can tell you right now, the only way this issue gets solved while Linux is still on server is if I hire a linux professional tech to solve the issue, and thats not going to happen so ya.

Thanks again for the help, but gotta move on.

star treker

Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:48:46 pm

Well scratch that plan. Guess what the problem is now? It uses an Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard which was top of the line back in its day, was also one of the first boards to incorperate SATA ports on the board itself. The board obviously favorites IDE drives over SATA drive by the way it acts. When I had the dying IDE drive in it, I was able to install Windows a bunch of times. But since installing a new SATA drive, Windows installer doesn't detect the drive, it also doesn't detect the other Sata file server drive either. But Zorin was able to detect the drive, thats how I was able to install Zorin on it in the first place.

So now I am deeming the computer usable as a backup machine for getting on the net with Zorin Linux. Its no longer usable as a server, and it also can't have Windows on it anymore apparantly. Now you know why I hate computer's, and why I don't work on computer's for other people anymore. That old single core 64-bit machine I built is almost a paperweight now. Old computer's just don't like to work, only new ones do. Ugg life sucks, but anways thats the update.

So I will be ripping the file server drive out of the machine next year. Its a Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPM Sata III drive. I will buy an external drive enclosure and stick the dam thing in there and then plug it into my router which supposedly can share a external drive on the network, so that way more then one computer can have access, instead of connected it directly to one computer, so that functionality will be nice.