This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

improper install ....32 bit Zorin on a 64 bit computer?

Treetop

Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:09:33 pm

Hello

What can I do? Do I need to do anything? I wrongly installed a 32bit Zorin 12 on 64 bit Computer. Is there any advantage to running a 64 bit Zorin 12 on a 64 bit computer? What if I leave it the same as is? If I install a 64 bit Zorin 12 on my 64 bit computer...will I lose all my data? Like files and settings and software?

please advise!

thanks

Michael

Intel® Pentium(R) CPU G3258 @ 3.20GHz × 2
Intel® Haswell Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
Zorin OS 12 32-bit

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:36:21 pm

Hi there is nothing wrong with having 32-bit OS on 64-bit pc you just won't benefit from any RAM you have installed if more than 4 Gb as 32-bit has a limitation as to how much RAM it can access. From personal experience Wine tends to run better on 32-bit. If you let Zorin automatically install you won't have a separate data /'/home' partition. All your settings for your apps will be in the integrated /home folder and may well be in 32-bit format so not sure if would be affected. I would advise a back up of your /home folder including app settings which are hidden so you need to press Ctrl+ H to see them - they all begin with a dot.