This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 Ultimate hangs from time to time on I7 Sandy Bridge

Chefboyct

Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:10:34 pm

Hi all,

I guess it is time for me to ask questions again! Apart from I am still in love with Zorin OS and haven't used my Windows 10 for days. I currently have Zorin 12 installed on a Separated External HDD and it runs on USB3 port. The question I have is that from time to time (which is quite often) that Zorin Desktop would hang... when I clicked on an application. and from there I can not type of click on anything else. But I can switch in between apps using ALT-TAB but even Terminals hangs or Geditor... I understand when system resources is low (I can see if from my side panel especially with Firefox eating memories like PACMAN). The question I have is.. .is it quite normal seeing it would be something generally happening with WIndows OS (My windows 10 sits on a SSD and runs like lightning fast, which is expected). I have included the system specs below -

And it is Dell Inspiron with NVidia GM525

MBMz10

Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:20:33 pm

Not withstanding that your running from a USB 3 drive, but what your meaning is sometimes its running OK and sometimes its not?

Having installed Zorin 12 6 or more times both virtual machines and full hardware installs I have found the same as you however after a day or so or updates and reboots it seems to 'get going'. First few times it ran like c*** at times, hanging freezing and not responding but then it seemed fine. I have also run it from a USB 3 stick yesterday in "live mode" and it was OK, I was surprised by this! But most if not all my full installs and virtual installs took a day or so to function properly. I even watched a youtube Zorin 12 review video and the same thing happened during his presentation!

Looks like you have had it installed for a few days already, maybe try running the software updater manually and see if that finds any updates. Some people have not seen there updater 'active' and wonder if it is working properly.

Chefboyct

Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:02:07 am

MBMz10 wrote:Not withstanding that your running from a USB 3 drive, but what your meaning is sometimes its running OK and sometimes its not?

Having installed Zorin 12 6 or more times both virtual machines and full hardware installs I have found the same as you however after a day or so or updates and reboots it seems to 'get going'. First few times it ran like c*** at times, hanging freezing and not responding but then it seemed fine. I have also run it from a USB 3 stick yesterday in "live mode" and it was OK, I was surprised by this! But most if not all my full installs and virtual installs took a day or so to function properly. I even watched a youtube Zorin 12 review video and the same thing happened during his presentation!

Looks like you have had it installed for a few days already, maybe try running the software updater manually and see if that finds any updates. Some people have not seen there updater 'active' and wonder if it is working properly.

Hi MBMz10,

Thanks for the input and I think it just has something to do with the External HDD maybe. It is quite an old machine and it does hang from time to time as I have a few live things going. G drive mapped, 2 x torrent apps, Commodo AV, Congy, and etc I think that could be why as well. I am sure if it is on a SSD, then it would be flying! I think the HDD has something to be blamed!

zobuntu

Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:33:44 pm

Try this:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt full-upgrade

Del369

Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:04:18 pm

If it's a USB3 drive it 'might' have an in built sleep timer that might be messing with things, I could be way off but some Googling with make/model and sleep timer (or similar) might get you some answers.

MBM funny that I had that distinct impression the first day or two as well :)

Chefboyct

Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:20:19 am

Del369 wrote:If it's a USB3 drive it 'might' have an in built sleep timer that might be messing with things, I could be way off but some Googling with make/model and sleep timer (or similar) might get you some answers.

Toshiba Canvio Basics Portable Drive is the drive and 1TB... I will see what I can do ... and it supposely to be USB 3

Del369

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:08:49 am

Well it was a lucky guess, but I see Toshiba Canvio, well that I was making said lucky guess over my experiences with the 3gb version, does yours have an on/off switch? I'm guessing it doesn't? and if so that could well be the issue, it basically goes into a sleep mode after a few minutes, there's nothing you can really do about it as it's hard coded, it's a great backup device but you can't really use it for starting programs off, at least not like most other hard drives.

Chefboyct

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:08:49 am

Chefboyct wrote:
Del369 wrote:If it's a USB3 drive it 'might' have an in built sleep timer that might be messing with things, I could be way off but some Googling with make/model and sleep timer (or similar) might get you some answers.

Toshiba Canvio Basics Portable Drive is the drive and 1TB... I will see what I can do ... and it supposely to be USB 3

and I just activated Write Cache for the drive.. so hopefully it will also help! Let's see!

Del369

Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:11:54 am

Chefboyct wrote:
Chefboyct wrote:

and I just activated Write Cache for the drive.. so hopefully it will also help! Let's see!

Ha pray tell, how'd you manage that? I searched everywhere for a solution to this, under OS9 it wasn't seen on boot I had to unplug and replug it once the system was up, and then it would always go to sleep after a few minutes.

Please let me know where you found that and I really hope it works :)

Chefboyct

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:28:51 am

Look for "DISKS" and you can also set up auto mount there and check my screenshot

Del369

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:16:02 pm

Chefboyct wrote:Look for "DISKS" and you can also set up auto mount there and check my screenshot

Ok so my Canvio has the drive settings grayed out, but unlike OS9 now it Auto mounts on boot, but no write cache changes for this drive.

On your settings check that APM tab thats power management settings, that might help your issue.

Lin66

Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:35:53 pm

Del369 wrote:
Chefboyct wrote:Look for "DISKS" and you can also set up auto mount there and check my screenshot

Ok so my Canvio has the drive settings grayed out, but unlike OS9 now it Auto mounts on boot, but no write cache changes for this drive.

On your settings check that APM tab thats power management settings, that might help your issue.

I am just firing a "wild shot" here but does your drive even have a write cache?

Del369

Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:04:17 pm

Lin66 wrote:I am just firing a "wild shot" here but does your drive even have a write cache?

I think it's pretty safe to say that if drive settings are grayed out then the answer to that is probably no Lin :mrgreen:

Chefboyct

Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:44:35 pm

Del369 wrote:

Shot Del369. This is what I have changed now. So let's hope it will work better. It randomly hangs in between applications.. (i.e. if I highlight an application and try to type something... and it just doesnt respond unless I trigger it forward and backward with my TAB key). It can be quite frustrating!

Del369

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:10:33 pm

Chefboyct wrote:
Del369 wrote:

Shot Del369. This is what I have changed now. So let's hope it will work better. It randomly hangs in between applications.. (i.e. if I highlight an application and try to type something... and it just doesnt respond unless I trigger it forward and backward with my TAB key). It can be quite frustrating!

Yep looks good Chef, might want to look into that spin down message and try to find out how to monitor it though, and let us know if it helps of course.