This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to get rid of swipe up lockscreen in Zorin 12

saul7

Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:52:30 am

Hi everyone
I'm new to this forum and new to Zorin OS 12.
So far I have been able to figure out how to do most things except for one thing and that is why I am here seeking help. I have my Zorin OS 12 set to after 5 minutes of inactivity to go to a black screen. And I also managed to be able to return from idle without having to enter my password by moving my mouse or pushing a key on the keyboard. What my problem is when it returns from an idle state I get this screen with the date and time on it that I have to flip up in order to resume my session. So my question is there anyway I can get rid of this flip up time and date screen and just move my mouse or push a key on my keyboard to return to my session from idle? If there is please tell me step by step or if I have to enter commands in a terminal to do this please tell me step by step the commands I need to enter. This is super annoying and the only thing I hate about this OS. So if you can help me get rid of this flip up clock and date lockscreen I will be super grateful to you. Thank you in advance

Lin66

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:13:44 pm

That is bit annoying so I just turn this off completely (doesn't idle at all). However you should be to just start "typing" to get out of that screen once you get to that very screen.

saul7

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:30:50 pm

@Lin66 turn what off completely? I already have Screen lock turned off in privacy. And after my screen goes to black screen after being idle for 5 minutes to wake up my session this dumb swipe up date and time lockscreen is there. I just want to wake up my session after being idle without a swipe up screen or having to put my password in every time

Lin66

Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:55:05 pm

saul7 wrote:@Lin66 turn what off completely? I already have Screen lock turned off in privacy. And after my screen goes to black screen after being idle for 5 minutes to wake up my session this dumb swipe up date and time lockscreen is there. I just want to wake up my session after being idle without a swipe up screen or having to put my password in every time

You would have to disable this power control altogether to get to what I do regarding it. I am not sure if that what your were needing.

saul7

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:04:28 pm

@Lin66 So in other words what you're saying is that in order for me to not have this swipe up lockscreen is I have to set the power settings to not go to black screen at all and for the screen to stay on all the time?

Lin66

Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:49:59 pm

saul7 wrote:@Lin66 So in other words what you're saying is that in order for me to not have this swipe up lockscreen is I have to set the power settings to not go to black screen at all and for the screen to stay on all the time?

Exactly what I had to do to make it so it won't do that.

saul7

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:00:10 pm

@Lin66 well I guess I could always manually turn off my monitor if i'm gonna be idle for any period of time and do that. Too bad Zorin doesn't have a way to just get rid of that swipe up screen and just let it go to black screen and just move your mouse or push any key on the keyboard to reawaken the session like you would in Windows.

Lin66

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:05:45 pm

saul7 wrote:@Lin66 well I guess I could always manually turn off my monitor if i'm gonna be idle for any period of time and do that. Too bad Zorin doesn't have a way to just get rid of that swipe up screen and just let it go to black screen and just move your mouse or push any key on the keyboard to reawaken the session like you would in Windows.

I am surprised there isn't a way control that behavior as well. To be honest though pressing a button twice every now and then isn't a huge hassle. Though with laptops I don't think you can "just turn off/on the display" like a desktop/workstation setup.

saul7

Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:34:36 pm

@Lin66 Well I'm using my Laptop like a desktop. I have it plugged in to an external 19" Monitor via HDMI and also have an external keyboard and mouse. So if I use the laptop as a laptop then I'll have to reset the settings again and go through the hassle again. I did however discover that I could avoid the swipe up screen by pushing the escape key on the keyboard. But I think your solution is probably a whole lot more convenient as long as I have the laptop connected to the external monitor and external keyboard and mouse

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:36:44 am

saul7

Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:10:05 am

@Swarfendor437 Thank You for responding to this, but from what I read in the link you provided it does the same thing that @Lin66 suggested by changing the power options so that the screen stays active all the time. What you showed me doesn't get rid of the swipe up date and time lockscreen if I let the system go to black screen on idle. So so far the only solution is I have to leave the screen active all the time and just switch off my monitor if I'm gonna be away from my PC for awhile unless someone comes up with the solution to get rid of that time and date swipe up lockscreen

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:11:25 pm

OK, I obviously skimmed the thread to eagerly. Take a look at these two 'solutions' proposed here:

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/questi ... gnome-316/

and here:

http://superuser.com/questions/793039/m ... 51#1019251

Don't be put off by the fact that there isn't a reference to Ubuntu - what you have to remember is that we are talking Desktop Environment (Gnome DE) NOT Operating Systems. Gnome DE is Gnome DE is Gnome DE - regardless of what distribution or file type being used. ;) :D

saul7

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:41:20 pm

@Swarfendor437 You're a genius you're awesome! This here was my solution! https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/ ... en-shield/
This solved my problem. It added this choice to get rid of it in the Gnome Tweak Tool.
It's gone! Yaaaayyyy you solved my problem! Thank You Thank You so much! This was driving me insane

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:14:42 pm

Glad to be of help friend - you've even beaten me to it! Clearly Gnome are trying to woo over the few users of Windows 10 over to GNU/Linux! :lol:

saul7

Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:37:35 am

@Swarfendor437 Well for me the constant worry of viruses and malware and people hacking me in Windows was enough for me to make the switch to Linux. At least here I don't have to constantly delete Temp files and run Virus scans and malware scans here like I did in Windows. Now the only thing left and that's not Linux's fault but Apple's fault for not making an Itunes for Linux. Cause now I can't backup or restore my Iphone. And so far trying to run Itunes from wine or playonlinux doesn't work to sync your Iphone. So now if my Iphone crashes it's gonna be new phone time

Lin66

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:41:35 am

saul7 wrote:@Swarfendor437 Well for me the constant worry of viruses and malware and people hacking me in Windows was enough for me to make the switch to Linux. At least here I don't have to constantly delete Temp files and run Virus scans and malware scans here like I did in Windows. Now the only thing left and that's not Linux's fault but Apple's fault for not making an Itunes for Linux. Cause now I can't backup or restore my Iphone. And so far trying to run Itunes from wine or playonlinux doesn't work to sync your Iphone. So now if my Iphone crashes it's gonna be new phone time

While there little point of having a "always on" Antivirus you should still be using one to scrap your system from time to time of Windows' viruses and a few Linux viruses that may slips into your system.

This way you don't ends up infesting other Windows' machines at the very least.

As for Itunes you should be able to install it from PlayOnLinux's "supported" applications.

saul7

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:10:55 am

@Lin66 I've tried installing the older versions of itunes that playonlinux has and they even say on the installs that USB syncing isn't available which is what you need to back up an iPhone. So once again unless apple makes a Linux version of iTunes or if there's some way I don't know about where you can back up an iPhone in Linux then I don't know of any way to be able to back up my iPhone with Zorin

Lin66

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:40:04 am

saul7 wrote:@Lin66 I've tried installing the older versions of itunes that playonlinux has and they even say on the installs that USB syncing isn't available which is what you need to back up an iPhone. So once again unless apple makes a Linux version of iTunes or if there's some way I don't know about where you can back up an iPhone in Linux then I don't know of any way to be able to back up my iPhone with Zorin

I see that make sense, at least as you mentioned you can alway get a new phone once that one is bricked. That could probably works better (a non Apple one maybe) on Ubuntu based distributions.

saul7

Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:17:57 am

@Lin66 I have an iPhone 5 which is now 4 years old and not worth hardly anything used anyway. So if it does go Kapoop I'm not gonna go back to another iphone again. I'm sick of how Apple keeps outdating there phones and makes it that there newest model is the most important and that older models are rendered as c***. Add to that how outrageously expensive there newer models are. And add to the fact you can't back them up in Linux. So when this Phone goes Kapoop My next phone will probably be a Samsung Galaxie Android which I'm pretty sure can be backed up in Linux. And also they don't outdate there phones like Apple does

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:01:34 pm

I don't know what format the files are saved in but I could browse all files from an ipad in Zorin 11 at work. Have you tried connecting the iphone with the usb connection and just enabling, trust this connection once attached to your Zorin machine? ;) :D

saul7

Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10:23 pm

@Swarfendor437 I haven't tried that yet but thing is if the phone crashed I wouldn't be able to restore it with out itunes

Finston Pickle

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:21:00 pm

Zorin Ultimate Support told me:

"In order to disable the lock screen after waking the computer from suspend (opening the lid), please open the Terminal and enter the following command: gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver ubuntu-lock-on-suspend false"

Sorry, but I have not tried this yet - but it looks simpler, if it works!

F.P.

saul7

Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:33:16 pm

@Finston Pickle I actually solved the problem with the extension added to Gnome Tweak So that fixed my problem along with adding xscreensaver