This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Setup video on Optimus Laptop

Griffen8280

Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:04:01 am

So after installing Zorin 12 I was having trouble booting the machine because of the Nvidia Optimus setup on my machine. This particular setup of components has made it very hard to install and use almost all of the Linux distros out there, believe me I have tried many of them. Here is how I got Zorin 12 running on my ASUS ROG STRIX laptop with i7 SandyBridge cpu and Nvidia GTX970 discrete graphics card.

In order to boot the installer I had to append
Code:
nomodeset

to the end of the initramfs line in the grub config by hitting e on the "Try Zorin before installing" option

Once booted, install the operating system as normal.

After it is installed I would not be able to boot into the operating system because it would continually lock up. In order to boot select the advanced options and go into recovery mode. Then just hit enter to boot normally. This boots the operating system in vesa graphics mode which basically means no hardware acceleration at all. Once in here open the driver manager and install the CPU microcode module to enable the full potential of the i7 CPU. You will need to reboot and repeat the above procedure to get the system up again. Once it is booted open a terminal window and type the following:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

Hit enter when prompted to accept the signing key, then:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

This will install the proprietary video drivers package that is built by Nvidia. For me I selected the 375 version driver from the driver manager and then restarted after it was installed. After that, the system booted without any issues and the Nvidia card is the default graphics display adapter. This may not save a ton of power like the originally intended optimus setup, but hey you didn't buy a gaming laptop to save power! :lol:

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:03:13 pm

Hi there, thanks for sharing your experience to help other users out there - 60 blue jewels to you sir! ;) :D