This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] New Problem Need Help

saul7

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:19:48 am

With the help of this forum I managed to solve the problem of the swipeup lockscreen in Zorin OS 12. But now it created a new problem that I can't solve. So once again I am asking for help. Now what happens when I have my screen set to blank out and go to black screen after 5 minutes, it works for about an hour. But after an hours time it will start blanking and going to black screen after maybe a minute. I tried increasing the time up to 10 minutes 20 minutes etc. And no matter what I set the time for the screen to blank out and go to black screen, it wants to go to black screen after a minute. I can bring everything back ok but again after a minute it's back to black screen again. So for now I have it set to never again so I can even write this. I would like it to blank after 5 minutes of being idle not 1 minute. How do I fix this? And please be detailed step by step how I can fix this and if I have to enter commands in the terminal tell me step by step what commands to put in it. And again @Swarfendor437 if you can help with this I'd really appreciate it. Anyone else who can help I appreciate it also. And again Thank you everyone who tries to help with this

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:08:51 pm

I think I posted this in respect of Screensavers - you just need to get rid of Gnome Screensaver and install XScreensavers instead - you are then in control!

http://askubuntu.com/questions/292995/c ... -in-ubuntu

saul7

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:01:44 am

@Swarfendor437 Thank You once again my friend. This once again fixed my problem above and created another one for me. Now I lost my Windows looking desktop environment with the taskbar on the bottom and now my taskbar is on top. Can I get the windows looking desktop environment back with xscreensaver?

saul7

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:26:51 am

@Swarfendor437 Update I found the setting in the tweak tool zorin panel was turned off. I turned it on and voila my taskbar returned to the bottom of the screen where I had it before. So now it appears all problems have been solved for now. Thank you so much again for your help. It is really appreciated. Also I marked this thread as solved

star treker

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:19:30 pm

Yep, the default blank out software was never good, not even in OS 9. I had Xscreensavers installed on OS9 so that I could have a real screensaver, and as well as, a computer lock mechanism to where you need password when coming out of screensaver. However, after a few months had passed I forgot all about Xscreensaver when I installed OS12. Swarf reminded me and I got my OS 12 back in business how I wanted it.

Now, because of what happened to you, your going to notice that more often then not when you do certain things in your OS, that your OS gets reset to standard gnome interface. You will also tend to find user themes shutoff as well as other Zorin extensions. This is the reason why I think the OS is less robust then OS 9 was, cause this has happened to me multiple times.

But as you have already discovered, by going into the tweak tool, one just has to re-enable user themes, and the zorin extensions, and then your back in business. And you may have to rechoose your theme colors as well in Zorin Appearence when your done, but not always.

Good Job :)

saul7

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:56:44 pm

star treker I'll keep that in mind if I reboot and it goes back to default. Thanks for the heads up