This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

help with update

SonnyLiverpool

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:53:05 pm

hello all im having a problem updating os, i get this message:

The upgrade needs a total of 82.8 M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 66.9 M of disk space on '/boot'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'

iv empted the trash an run the comand but i still get this message when tryiny to install the update
i am runing os9 ultmate

Lin66

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:05:28 pm

SonnyLiverpool wrote:hello all im having a problem updating os, i get this message:

The upgrade needs a total of 82.8 M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 66.9 M of disk space on '/boot'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'

iv empted the trash an run the comand but i still get this message when tryiny to install the update
i am runing os9 ultmate

You will probably need to have the /boot partition unmounted and then resize it (you may need to resize everything if your out of physical drive space).

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:12:36 pm

My question would be "Why do you need '/boot'?" - I only ever install '/boot' and usually make it a maximum of 512 Mb, formatted to ext4 if dual booting with Windows 8/10 - I suspect some new Kernel headers are getting written there but I am not fully conversant with '/boot' and all of the niceties (sic. complexities) it has to offer! ;) :D

The only other time I used '/boot' was putting GNU/Linux on an Asus eeePC netbook that came with a 10 Gb SSD split into 3 Gb and 7 Gb (roughly speaking) and under Windows XP (starter/home) it would not allow you to put the system on the bigger partition - but under GNU/Linux, creating a '/boot' partition on the bigger partition followed by '/' I was able to install Zorin 5 without any issue leaving the 3 Gb partition set as '/home'. ;) :D

SonnyLiverpool

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:13:26 am

Lin66 wrote:
SonnyLiverpool wrote:hello all im having a problem updating os, i get this message:

i am runing os9 ultmate

You will probably need to have the /boot partition unmounted and then resize it (you may need to resize everything if your out of physical drive space).

so if this is what i need to do can you talk me though it?

Lin66

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:36:22 pm

SonnyLiverpool wrote:
Lin66 wrote:

i am runing os9 ultmate

so if this is what i need to do can you talk me though it?

Before you try to resolve the problem BACKUP the data on the drive AND check how much free space you actually can reallocate on the drive.

Basically you will need to boot into your system with a live OS to override the drive (since then it will be unmounted state automatically since it not in use). Your install medium of Zorin will works wonders for this since it comes with Gparted. Fire that application up after your on the live OS (Tell the installer that you want to TRY it out in order to find that app on the usual menu on your left) and then just resize the /boot partitioning as you see fit. REMEMBER if you already allocated your entire drive you WILL need to resize (shrink) at least another partition to provide your drive with unallocated space to use for the resizing of the /boot partition.

Please keep us posted.

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:44:43 pm

Personally, I would backup your data and start afresh, assuming this is the only OS on your machine (you have not made it clear if this is the case) and just have:

1. Primary Partition, 30720 Mib (= 30 Gb) formatted to 'ext4' and marked as '/'
2. Extended Partition:
a. first put 'swap area' of 4096 Mib (4 Gb) at END of it.
b. everything in front of 'swap area' format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home'

;) :D

SonnyLiverpool

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:18:17 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Personally, I would backup your data and start afresh, assuming this is the only OS on your machine (you have not made it clear if this is the case) and just have:

1. Primary Partition, 30720 Mib (= 30 Gb) formatted to 'ext4' and marked as '/'
2. Extended Partition:
a. first put 'swap area' of 4096 Mib (4 Gb) at END of it.
b. everything in front of 'swap area' format to 'ext4' and mark as '/home'

;) :D

so you mean a fresh install of the os?

if so:

step 1,Primary Partition, 30720 Mib (= 30 Gb) formatted to 'ext4' and marked as '/'
and 2 Extended Partition, A and B
are these options at the install page?

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:11:14 pm

Not the layout - you have to do it manually by choosing the 'something else' method when it asks how you want to insstall. ;) :D

Linx

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:44:36 pm

For us to get a clear picture of your system in the current state would you please run the following commands, and paste the output.

Code:
mount
df -h
sudo parted /dev/sda print

The fist command "mount" will show us where the system has everything mounted.
The second command "df -h" will show us the drives connected to the computer, and the amount of free space and mount point.
The last command "sudo parted /dev/sda print" will show the partition table details for for the drive /dev/sda

/boot/ is normally mounted on it's own partition when booting with EFI/UEFI, and although the linux system may have left plenty of space it isn't uncommon for other installed OS's to have a fit about it.
Parted can be used to shrink or grow a partition size if needed. After which the filesystem used will need to be added/altered, I don't know of the top of my head the command to be able to do that. Will be able to provide more info after you have posted the requested data.

Thanks!