This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"SOLVED" How to migrate Application settings

Finston Pickle

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39:35 pm

I have a query on transferring settings of applications.

I have been successfully running Slimjet as my main browser on my Zorin 9, Linux laptop. I have bought a more powerful Linux laptop running Zorin 12. I have installed Slimjet and can navigate the Zorin file systems well. I have seen on the Slimjet user forum that you can transfer Slimjet settings on Windows systems by copying the old "User Data" folder and replacing the new "User Data" folder. Is it still called "User Data" on Linux and where is the "User Data" folder located on a Zorin 12, Linux system, please? Can you confirm this method should work, please?

These settings, like those of many other applications, were hard won over a period of time. I think that this method here would work for many of them also - can you confirm this theory, please?

Also, is there any way that Backup can be used to transfer application settings to a new installation like mine? I have looked and it doesn't seem to save "User Data" in one folder, file and place.

Thanks once again - you have been most helpful.

F.P.

qnarkill

Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:30:30 pm

Im no slimjet expert but it probably saves all settings under the /home/%username%/.config/slimjet/.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:33:18 pm

Application Settings are hidden files inside your '/home' folder - press 'Ctrl+ H' to reveal them if not already showing - they all start with a dot '.' then the name of the application, e.g.,:

ApplicationSettings.jpg

The highlighted application here is for Firefox which, as in Windows, gets lumped under Mozilla - or in GNU/Linux, .mozilla.

;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50:40 am

Thanks guys - this is going to save some time!