This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

get the old ZorinOS 9 appeareance

RichardIos275

Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:26:52 pm

When ZorinOS 12 realeased, i miss the old ZorinOS 9 animation, boot logo, sound, START menu and everything so please help me
beacouse everything in the new zorin is boring, Please can anybody answer this because the old Zorin is more smooth, animated, great design

BUT NOW THEY REMOVE IT when booting is just come the desktop BOOM is in :evil:

Swarfendor437

Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:09:18 am

Something must be wrong with your install as the Zorin logo is still there pulsating but different colour on black background. The AWN panel and Gnomenu are dead projects and as such incompatible with the latest kernels and libraries. You can add Cairo Dock to get a similar looking panel to the earlier Zorin. I (and you) need time to explore the OS some more. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:21:55 am

I agree with Richard - it would be lovely to have the option of having 12 look as good as 9 did (and perform in the same way).

I don't know how this is progress - it even seems to be nannying just like Windows - which drove me to Zorin 9 in the first place.

USP lost?

MBMz10

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:02:18 am

9 was great 10 and 11 gradual improvements and even better. 12 is a total new thing.

RichardIos275 I agree totally.
Wishing it went 9, 10, 11, and 12 but it went in a different direction, just when I thought this relationship might last...

star treker

Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:57:17 am

Wait, pulsating logo? WOW, ok, ya never had any of that on my Zorin OS 12 installation. And finally somebody else said what I was thinking about how boring OS 12 is.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:25:07 am

star treker wrote:Wait, pulsating logo? WOW, ok, ya never had any of that on my Zorin OS 12 installation. And finally somebody else said what I was thinking about how boring OS 12 is.

If you never had pulsing logo then you installed proprietary drivers at some point - that's what happens when you install proprietary stuff - the bootsplash either changes or changes to the 'ubuntu dots' ldm mode. Always had it in 12 cos I don't like nVidia drivers - I only included it in the SolydX video I made to show that it works for those who are desparate! :lol:

Finston Pickle

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:24:48 pm

Is there some way of installing the same theme as Zorin 9?

As I understand it it it Zorin Lite 1.0 by Zorin OS.

I find on my Zorin 9 laptop:

usr/share/icons/hicolour

usr/share/icons/ZorinLight

usr/share/icons/Humanity

Can we get some way forward by copying them into our Zorin 12 machines and using one of the tweak tools to install them?

What exactly do they all give us?

What combo do you need to get the Zorin Light 1.0 theme?

Is this a load of *****cks?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:14:47 pm

Finston Pickle

Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:34:04 am

Thanks, Swarf - I tried the Noobslab workaround but neither the themes or icons would load - of course, my install of Zorin 12 Ulimate was having trouble at the time, so perhaps someone else should try it and see how they go.

It does seem to me to be a shame the the Zorin 9 look was not available in the Zorin 12 appearance changer options - especially as so many existing Zorin users like it - we can only live in hope!

If anyone else has found a way to get back to Zorin 9 looks, please let us know how you did it.

MBMz10

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:20:58 am

Zorin do a good job of theming there OS's I must say, however this seems to make copying/modifying them a little tricky, a bit hit and miss.
One thing I did actually like about OS 12 was the look, sure it was new and different but as usual very professional. Can't say the same for that gnome thing though.

As my old 'test rig' still has Zorin 9 on it I must say it still looks and works as good as the day I installed it and Ubuntu 14.04 (Zorin9) just works, it is tried and tested as they say, 16.04 is still new and not fully developed/finished/polished. I understand your dilemma Finston Pickle and RichardIos275, so given the situation at hand, (your not going to like the answer) why not consider installing Zorin 9 again? It still has over 2 years of support left also. It's not really the answer you were looking for but every time I boot up the old machine its like an old friend. Some of my music stopped working on my Mint (16.04) system the other day (updates or such killed some file types??), booted up Z9 and no problem at all.
I love Zorin OS with Compiz and Cairo Dock, got it all working on OS 12 but couldn't get the theming back to OS 12 (maybe I should have tried 9-10-11 theming) so my problem was similar to yours. Still looking for an solution myself and currently trying other OS's/Distro's.
Just my 2 cents worth, no disrespect intended.

abctmp88

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:59:05 am

RichardIos275 wrote:When ZorinOS 12 realeased, i miss the old ZorinOS 9 animation, boot logo, sound, START menu and everything so please help me
beacouse everything in the new zorin is boring, Please can anybody answer this because the old Zorin is more smooth, animated, great design

BUT NOW THEY REMOVE IT when booting is just come the desktop BOOM is in :evil:

I totally agree with Richard!
I was using ZorinOS11(core), which has many nice features, like
# making application shortcuts directly onto desktop by right clicking on the menu items of "start menu"
# create a one click icon to show the desktop ( http://kb.prohma.org/index.php?title=Zo ... _one_click )
# allow customization of date and time info on the lower right hand corner ( http://kb.prohma.org/index.php?title=Zo ... and_corner )

Hope that the Zorin team can consider to retain these nice features in ZorinOS12(core)!
[ ZorinOS12 do add a very nice feature to its file manager -- it is the "tree-view" ]

Anyway,
Thanks the Zorin Team for their great works!

ian4238

Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16:03 am

One possibility no-one talks about is the new Zorin 12 Lite, due any time soon. Hopefully it should resemble the old Zorin 9 layout, and I understand it will be based on XFCE. I know you will say "that's for old low-spec machines". I intend to install it on my old 'test machine' and see if I can replace the software it includes, with a lot of that in 12 Ultimate. XFCE is very adaptable and fast. Of course, if it is only maintained for 2 years or so, it won't be worth much effort. I am trying Linux Lite 3.2 (XFCE) on my 11" notebook at present, and that works with no problems at all (the Start menu is more WIN 2000 than 7).

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:47:08 pm

:D Just to clarify somethings - sadly Gnome Extensions DO have a show desktop extension but it is part of something else - a bit like the old DocBarX that tended to replicate the browser shortcut you already have.

In respect of Zorin and it's Lite editions they are always based off Lubuntu which uses LXDE and NOT Xfce! ;) :D

And if Lite is based of LTS Lubuntu we are looking at 3 years from 16.04 = 19.04 so yes nigh on 2 years. Remember forks take longer to produce due to customization requirements of the forks themes and other paraphernalia. ;) :D