This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Renaming Other Volumes

mdiemer

Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:18:59 pm

How can I rename the other volumes I have on my computer? I have Windows 7, Ubuntu and Zorin Core, and Zorin Ultimate. If I'm on Ultimate, and I go to "other locations," it shows me the other volumes, but they are named by their sizes. (Their location is also shown over on the right - sda1, etc). I would like to rename them, so I can see at a glance which is which, and quickly navigate to, say, the documents on Ubuntu, to look for a document I may have saved there. But I can't seem to do this. The "rename" option is greyed-out.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:13:37 am

Well you learn something new every day:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm

which 'could' be the reason why you can't rename. I have never gone down the LVM route (never having the need to - I like to keep things simple but it does overcome the 4 primary partition issue (if I have interpreted things correctly).

Lin66

Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:22:29 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well you learn something new every day:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lvm

which 'could' be the reason why you can't rename. I have never gone down the LVM route (never having the need to - I like to keep things simple but it does overcome the 4 primary partition issue (if I have interpreted things correctly).

I wouldn't call it an "issue". As this is simply the limitation of Master Boot Records (MBR). It only let you make 3 primary partitions (boot able) and then you can make another one as solely an extended partition (only works to expand storage capacity to an existing volume).

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:51:22 am

Well if you want more than 4 there used to be 'chainloading' - my post was primarily to do with renaming and it was all I could find. ;) :D

mdiemer

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:49:43 am

I definitely learn something new every day when it comes to Gnu/Linux! I guess this is a good reason to make a dedicated Home directory, where all files can live from your various drives. I'll see about doing that, shouldn't be too hard as I know how to partition (well, sort of...).