This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZorinOS12: How to show date on bottom right hand corner?

abctmp88

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:09:39 am

Dear all,

In ZorinOS11, there is an option to show the date on the bottom right hand corner, just beneath the time, e.g. "12/24, 3:07pm"
-> but how to do this in ZorinOS12?

Thanks for any kinds of help!

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:29:44 pm

No, only to the right of it:

Time and date.jpg
Time and date.jpg (5.46 KiB)

abctmp88

Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:12:33 am

Thanks SWarfendor for your info!
but...
my ZorinOS12 is in Chinese version, and it does not show the date.
-> see attached screen capture ( the Chinese word "星期三", as beside the time, means, Wed, but no date is shown)
-> so how to display the date as if it is in ZorinOS11 which have options to show the date and change the time formats?

Thanks for any kind of help!

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:42:38 pm

I am second guessing here but it may be that the date function may not have got translated. You will no doubt be aware that GNU/Linux tends to orientate towards English and a lot of open source/free software is dependent upon volunteers to translate into other languages. ;-)

abctmp88

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:49:19 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I am second guessing here but it may be that the date function may not have got translated. You will no doubt be aware that GNU/Linux tends to orientate towards English and a lot of open source/free software is dependent upon volunteers to translate into other languages. ;-)

So, how to add back the date thru translation?

Thanks!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:51:55 pm

Basically it means the project that creates the clock/calendar doesn't have anyone who can translate for Chinese version! :(

abctmp88

Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:16:29 am

Dear Swarfendor,

I find that the English version does not show the date too
-> so nothing about the translation, but the system issue
and what tricks have you done to show the date?

Are there any applications that can do the tricks?
Or Can some other guru give an hand?

I hope that something like this "Feb.13, Mon 11:40am" can be shown on the lower left-hand corner of the Desktop.

Thanks for any kinds of help!

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:30:37 pm

Hi, I've only just gotten round to reinstalling Zorin Ultimate 64 - and likely to need a reinstall as I have messed the system playing with Enlightenment 21! I am sure I changed the settings using properties of the clock - if you haven't done so already, install gnome-tweak-tool and also gnome - from recollection, 'Extensions' for gnome shell won't show up unless you install gnome in full. I just opened a terminal and entered:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome

Then open Tweak Tool and look for any clock extension and look for a cog - this means you can configure that particular extension. ;) :D

abctmp88

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:26:30 am

Thanks Swarfendor!

I search "gnome-tweak-tool" in ZorinOS12's software centre and find "Tweak-Tools" for GNOME3. Then I install it thru the software centre, then:
-> look for the last menu item "top bar setting"
-> select "show date"
-> that's it!

It's great that the tweak-tools:
# add the a right-click menu item "add to desktop" which allow me to add program shortcut directly to desktop!
# has a convenient menu to add startup program

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47:03 pm

Great job! Can we mark this thread as [SOLVED]? :D