This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

upgrade zorin 5.2 to 11.10 ??

ali8383

Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:16:04 pm

hi

it is safe to upgrade to ubuntu 11.10 in update manager ?
zorin 5.2 based on ubuntu 11.04 !

thank you

Wolfman

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33:49 am

No, you will overwrite all the Zorin config files, please wait for the next release of Zorin OS.

You can do the normal updates no problem!!.

Regards Wolfman :D

ali8383

Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:50:09 am

thank you for your fast reply ,,

this distribution what i'm looking for along time , and i hope its updating fast with ubuntu releases to get latest features .

what about kernal ? is there any update ?

when the next version of zorin will release ?

Wolfman

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:17:58 pm

Hi Ali,

I cannot tell you exactly when the next release will be available, I do know that it is a work in progress so we will just have to wait until it is ready!!.

Assuming that the next version of ZorinOS is based upon Ubuntu 11.10, the kernel should move up to the 3.x.x range!!.

ChiggyPapa

Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:33:05 pm

This might be worth it's own post...
I'm pretty new at this stuff (basic linux user with red hat firewall experience, and about 2 years linux dabbling)... but with multimedia & ultimate editions, will we be able to do a "live kernal"? the hard core audio engineers say this is 100% the way to go (I don't even know yet what a "live" one is, vs... what, a "dead" kernal). I have a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) and know one can do this in Ubuntu Ultimate as well as in AVLinux (Audio-Visual Linux distro). I understand that it's something one can DL, just this "live" kernal" -and I'm guessing (???) that we would need our OWN ZorinOS version, compiled for the release we have...correct?
Thanks

Wolfman

Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:25:32 pm

Hi CP,

I cannot say about a live kernel version, that is one you will have to take up with the developers!!.