This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 Ultimate - Flash plugin functionality

svatas

Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:15:37 am

Dear all,

I am proud user of Zorin OS and user of "Ultimate" versions. As I am "an IT guy" I love to test beta versions. Therefore I installed Zorin 12 beta without any problems and tested it. It was on my PC and when final version was available I switched to Ultimate.

As there is no direct way how to "upgrade" beta to final I decided to do a fresh installation. But from then I was unable to use flash. As IT professional I am fully aware about troubles with the flash technology however still I am using a lot of application built on flash and without possibility to be switched to something different (HTML5?). Nice example is my IPTV provider. I am from Czech Republic and my provider is O2. Their product is O2TV what is a standard set-top box. But there is also possibility to use their own application O2TV available for major mobile platforms and for PC via web browser. And this application is pure flash app.

After fresh installation I tried to connect to that application with help of Chromium but there was just error message that flash is mandatory to start the application. There was also link to adobe.com page with flash plugin installer. As I was using this application in Zorin 12 beta without any problems I was convinced that this is a problem of Chromium. I started Firefox and the same problem. The same with Midori and some other browsers.

When I was checking in "Software" and then in Synaptic flash plugin package is installed however not working (version 24.0.0 - I do not know the exact version number). Tried to uninstall and install again with no luck. Then I decided to install it manually from package provided on Adobe page. The result was the same - it is not working.

Then I decided to completely reinstall Zorin 12 Ultimate (with complete HDD reformatting and repartitioning to be sure no traces from previous Zorin 12 installation left). After the fresh installation - flash is not working even package installed!

I was decided to stay with the fact that flash is not supported by Zorin (and no shame). But as I am a person who can not imagine that some SW will defeat me I started some investigation.

I found this thread in forum. Somebody is complaining about not functional flash in opera browser and that he found the solution. It was not working for me. But I found solution which is working. When you are on Adobe page with possibility to download flash plugin, just click to the link which is something like "Need version for different computer?" You will be redirected to a page where you can choose the OS and version of plugin. In step 1 choose Linux 32 or 64 bit (depending on your version of Zorin) and then in Step 2 choose "FP XX.X for Ubuntu (apt)". Download and install (by double clicking, it will be opened by "Software"). This is the only way I was able to install functional version of plugin on fresh installation.

This description leads to some facts which needs to be confirmed by somebody else from the community :

Are you able to use flash plugin out of the box after fresh Zorin 12 Ultimate installation?

a) If No, can you install this flash plugin as described in this thread? Is it working?
b) If this is a Zorin 12 final bug (beta was working without troubles) where to report this as a bug? From my point of view there is some bug in flash plugin configuration in Zorin which was not the case in beta. It can be easily reproduced when Zorin installed with help of VMware.

I do not like the answer "Flash is evil, do not use it" as many of "normal" users does not think about it like this e.g. my parents (age 65+) are using Zorin as main OS for all standard tasks they are doing (internet browsing, basic office work, e-mails, skyping etc.) and they want to access some internet services like TV Archive of Czech Television which is also built up on flash as well. From their point of view Zorin is a c*** SW which is faulty and can not provide this service to them.

Zorin OS is profiled to be a "novice" users best experience and this is basic functionality which must be provided.

MBMz10

Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:04:36 am

a) haven't tried myself

b) you could ask the Zorin developers via 'premium support' as you are Ultimate user, the email they sent you with zip file password should have a premium support reference number and from the Zorin home page, 'help' and scroll to the bottom ( https://zorinos.com/help/zorin-premium-support/)

Let us know what happens!

Swarfendor437

Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:20:34 am

svatas

Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:12:53 am

Premium support used, we will see what will be the result.