This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to show the copying progess in Zorin 12

rratamahata

Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:52:58 pm

Hi, when I am copying large block of files I cannot see the amout of copied files (and also time to left). Is there any tool to show it?

MBMz10

Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:37:57 pm

A small 'pie' chart icon or clock timer looking icon will appear in the title bar or top of the file manager window. If you click on it additional info will appear.

qnarkill

Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:27:08 pm

could it be just hidden, alt + tab while copying?

MBMz10

Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:15:28 am

I tried Alt-Tab but just showed me other open windows. There isn't a separate 'file copy dialogue box' in OS 12 as in earlier versions or Windows 7 10 etc just the pie chart as far as I can tell.

Screen shot showing after I have clicked on the 'pie chart'.
File Copy Progress.jpg

abctmp88

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:40:31 am

There should be options for us to choose for "progress windows" or pie-chart
-> pie-chart really get me lost at the very beginning.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:39:30 am

If you click on pie chart it shows drop-down traditional progress box.

Finston Pickle

Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:02:09 pm

I found the lack of indicated progress a major turn off - unless you notice a nondescript, small icon ~ 2mm across - you think that the machine has crashed. Why not an obvious coloured icon changing colour?

I would certainly like it the other way around with a traditional progress box, but perhaps with a minimise to Pie option.

Is there any way of showing a traditional progress box without having to make an additional click every time? I hope so.

abctmp88

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:55:03 am

Finston Pickle wrote:I found the lack of indicated progress a major turn off - unless you notice a nondescript, small icon ~ 2mm across - you think that the machine has crashed. Why not an obvious coloured icon changing colour?

I would certainly like it the other way around with a traditional progress box, but perhaps with a minimise to Pie option.

Is there any way of showing a traditional progress box without having to make an additional click every time? I hope so.

I hope this too!

MBMz10

Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:59:24 am

I thought this was a really great feature myself as I always seemed to be dragging file copy progress boxes to the side of the file browser so I could continue 'browsing' whilst keeping an eye on the copy progress. You can please some of the people some of the time...

As far as traditional copy box goes, maybe another file browser might allow that? Or maybe a Gnome Extension but I don't know.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:57:56 pm

MBMz10 wrote:I thought this was a really great feature myself as I always seemed to be dragging file copy progress boxes to the side of the file browser so I could continue 'browsing' whilst keeping an eye on the copy progress. You can please some of the people some of the time...

As far as traditional copy box goes, maybe another file browser might allow that? Or maybe a Gnome Extension but I don't know.

I think it depends how it is scripted - I only noticed recently that Deepin based on Debian uses the pie chart but shows the transfer box at the same time. ;) :D

MBMz10

Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:51:30 am

You can have your cake (pie) and eat it also :D
Now if we only knew how to code