This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Moving Home directory to another hard drive

amrish

Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:37:38 pm

Hello! Happy new Year. I think this is the right forum to post this as I posted on wrong forum previously....
I am running Zorin 9 almost since past 1 year and seems like my hard drive doesn't have much space left. So I added another hard drive with more capacity on the same machine but I don't seems to find a right steps to move entire contents of my Home directory to this new drive!
Can someone please provide me step by step details on how can I move my entire Home directory to New Hard drive? or should I Install new OS on this new hard drive and then move my original hard drive's Home directory to this new drive? ( I still don't know If I can do that and how can I achieve that?).

Can anyone please help me? Thank you all in advance.
Amrish

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:15:32 am

The main factor to establish is whether you let Zorin do the install for you or whether you chose the 'something else' option.

mdiemer

Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:46:47 am

I don't see why you can't just install Zorin on new drive, and then move the contents of home on old drive to home on new drive. and while you're at it, might as well give Zorin 12 a shot.

I like to disconnect the drive I'm not installing to. Prevents disasters. With nothing else on new drive, Zorin will just install cleanly.

amrish

Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:07:06 pm

Hi Mdiemer,

Thank you for prompt reply... I am thinking to install Zorin 12 on new hard drive but I don't know how to move my original hard drive's Home directory and all sub folders and files to this new installed Zorin 12 hard drive? please can you provide me proper steps to follow to accomplish this.
Thanks,
Amrish

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:30:45 pm

I would make fresh install first, use redobackup after updating system.

Next, if not done so already, go to your /home folder on old Zorin install and make sure all folders are showing - expand the home folder to full screen, then press Ctrl+ H - if you see things appear, select all and copy and paste to external backup. If things disappear, press Ctrl+ H to show everything once more then copy and paste everything - all those folders/files with '.' in front of their names are your applications setting etc.

Hope this helps! ;) :D