This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Moving from HDD to SSD and Boot-Repair

Chefboyct

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:36:36 pm

Hi all,

Compliment of the season and again, the newbie has striked again! Welcome the new problems in 2017!

I have a new question and dilemma! I have been googling and using rsync to transfer my Zorin and Home directory from a HDD to SSD (size is ok as filesystem wasn't very big). and I installed the SSD using a CADDY system to replace my CD-ROM drive. The issue is that I CANNOT boot from the new SSD (Call it Zorin) due to BIOS incompatible to do so. Therefore GRUB wouldn't work and never mind not able to BOOT directly from the start (there is just no option). And the main SSD (call it Windows) is the only device can be booted from the startup.

Now I have tried using Boot-Repair and write over sda (Windows) but it failed. I suspect it is because I already have more than 4 partition on the Windows Drive and Grub refused to install on this drive. And I am now not sure what I can do unless I install GRUB on a separate USB Disk and run start up from it.. then maybe I can boot it into ZORIN or WINDOWS. and on top of that, I haven't been able to test my ZORIN SSD after I have RSYNC all the data across. So this is the link I have saved after the 1st Boot-repair and maybe someone can help me? http://paste2.org/sF647XpM ? thanks and appreciate any input on this!

chefboyct!

Chefboyct

Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:33:05 pm

Chefboyct wrote:Hi all,

Compliment of the season and again, the newbie has striked again! Welcome the new problems in 2017!

I have a new question and dilemma! I have been googling and using rsync to transfer my Zorin and Home directory from a HDD to SSD (size is ok as filesystem wasn't very big). and I installed the SSD using a CADDY system to replace my CD-ROM drive. The issue is that I CANNOT boot from the new SSD (Call it Zorin) due to BIOS incompatible to do so. Therefore GRUB wouldn't work and never mind not able to BOOT directly from the start (there is just no option). And the main SSD (call it Windows) is the only device can be booted from the startup.

Now I have tried using Boot-Repair and write over sda (Windows) but it failed. I suspect it is because I already have more than 4 partition on the Windows Drive and Grub refused to install on this drive. And I am now not sure what I can do unless I install GRUB on a separate USB Disk and run start up from it.. then maybe I can boot it into ZORIN or WINDOWS. and on top of that, I haven't been able to test my ZORIN SSD after I have RSYNC all the data across. So this is the link I have saved after the 1st Boot-repair and maybe someone can help me? http://paste2.org/sF647XpM ? thanks and appreciate any input on this!

chefboyct!

and I have also attached the system log... Zorin asked me to check on systemd-remount-fs.service for details and I also saw the Kernel and mount failed ... Perhaps it is something I just need to change on the Device UUID?

MBMz10

Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:44:37 pm

Just my thoughts, the log file is gobbledygook (how do you spell that) to me but this is where I would start.

Did you actually install Zorin on the new caddy mounted SSD in the machine? With or without the Windows drive still in there?
Did you get any 'grub' errors during install?

Will the BIOS allow boot from CD-ROM, now the caddy? (likely best solution if it worked!)

If you put the caddy mount SSD in the 'main' drive slot would it boot up?

And possible solution is to put EasyBCD on windows (assuming Grub is on the caddy SSD) and configure it to find grub there.

I've used it a few times when I've installed Windows on one drive and Linux on another but not in dual boot mode, that is I've removed the other drive when installing each OS. Like the Mathew Moore method.

A word of caution though regarding such things as MBR (master boot record) you maybe left with a non-bootable PC and need your Windows install media to restore it. I removed EasyBCD once and this happened to me!
It also seems to boot up half way into windows then restart into Linux (if you select that) so boot up can be a little slow from my experience.

Well that's my 10 cents worth, link to EasyBCD below, I think its free for private use but may need to register.

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

One last thought, is Windows in UEFI mode, if so, not sure!!!
I just looked through your link and suspect it is UEFI.
I still posted this FYI, so let us know whats next.

Chefboyct

Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:43:49 am

MBMz10 wrote:Just my thoughts, the log file is gobbledygook (how do you spell that) to me but this is where I would start.

Did you actually install Zorin on the new caddy mounted SSD in the machine? With or without the Windows drive still in there?

Will the BIOS allow boot from CD-ROM, now the caddy? (likely best solution if it worked!)

And possible solution is to put EasyBCD on windows (assuming Grub is on the caddy SSD) and configure it to find grub there.

I've used it a few times when I've installed Windows on one drive and Linux on another but not in dual boot mode, that is I've removed the other drive when installing each OS. Like the Mathew Moore method.

A word of caution though regarding such things as MBR (master boot record) you maybe left with a non-bootable PC and need your Windows install media to restore it. I removed EasyBCD once and this happened to me!
It also seems to boot up half way into windows then restart into Linux (if you select that) so boot up can be a little slow from my experience.

Well that's my 10 cents worth, link to EasyBCD below, I think its free for private use but may need to register.

Hey MBMz10,

Shot for the reply but perhaps I am not making myself clear on this.

1) I transferred Zorin from External HDD to SSD (Which External HDD one is working right now)! and this is by using RSYNC. https://radu.cotescu.com/migrating-your ... ssd-drive/
2) So as per step 1, it doesnt matter Windows SSD is present or not but I can't install Grub on Windows SSD because of limitation of Windows 10 (partition issue and logical partition which I read somewhere).
3) No, It can not boot from CADDY (CD-ROM) even if I set it to boot from CD-ROM first. and I have BIOS and not this EEFI whatever c*** on the new laptop (this is a Sandy bridge I7 DELL)!
4) I managed to install Grub on a USB Stick, so I can boot it into Zorin SSD. However the log is the result which you saw in the ZIP (Kernel mounting failure and can't find some UUID stuff)
5) I am now going to find solution for this online ,... so wish me luck!

Chefboyct

Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:06:11 pm

Chefboyct wrote:
MBMz10 wrote:Just my thoughts, the log file is gobbledygook (how do you spell that) to me but this is where I would start.

Hey MBMz10,

Shot for the reply but perhaps I am not making myself clear on this.

1) I transferred Zorin from External HDD to SSD (Which External HDD one is working right now)! and this is by using RSYNC. https://radu.cotescu.com/migrating-your ... ssd-drive/
2) So as per step 1, it doesnt matter Windows SSD is present or not but I can't install Grub on Windows SSD because of limitation of Windows 10 (partition issue and logical partition which I read somewhere).
3) No, It can not boot from CADDY (CD-ROM) even if I set it to boot from CD-ROM first. and I have BIOS and not this EEFI whatever c*** on the new laptop (this is a Sandy bridge I7 DELL)!
4) I managed to install Grub on a USB Stick, so I can boot it into Zorin SSD. However the log is the result which you saw in the ZIP (Kernel mounting failure and can't find some UUID stuff)
5) I am now going to find solution for this online ,... so wish me luck!

Hi all,

Just to let you know that my suspicion was correct and I had change the UUID in /etc/fstab to match my partitiion. Once that is done, basically you can just use Boot-repair to create Grub. I have decided to creaste a Grub USB to boot into my 2nd SSD where Zorin sits! It works like a dream!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:49:16 pm

Will mark as [SOLVED]