This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Noob Customization Questions

Julian

Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:01:13 pm

I switched to Zorin OS because Ubuntu was not working for dual monitors. Thankfully it does in Zorin. The computer is now running the Nvidia drivers so that all of the effects work in Zorin as well. With this said, I have a few questions:

1. Now that I have switched to the Nvidia drivers, the screensaver won't work. (It worked before then) What originally happened was that the screen just went black instead of the screensaver. The screen was still "on" though. It was not powered down. After changing the screensaver and the time, to be activated things changed. Now, the screen starts to go black like it is going to start the screensaver, but then it waves back up. After a period of time the monitors will power down. So, how do I get the screensaver to work again?

2. When I go to change the icons in the Z menu bar, it gives 3 options. If I changed to a different icon set, none of the icons change. Is this a bug, or is there something I need to do to get it to work. I have tried logging out and resetting and in both cases, it just stays with the default icons.

3. Any idea why the Pidgin icon is an ugly 2 person icon instead of its cute bird symbol that I see in every Linux screenshot? Any idea on how to get the bird icon to show up?

4. Speaking of icons, how do I install custom icon packs in Zorin OS? If I could find them, I would like to install of Penguin icons.

5 Can I install Gnome 3 and tweaks in Zorin OS? I checked the software center and none of them were available. How about other GUI like KDE? Can those be installed and used with Zorin OS, or am I stuck with the windows look?

Thanks.

Julian

Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:01:30 pm

Oh, one more thing. What do I need to install to add the Linux version of the windows sidebar?

Julian

Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:16:30 am

It is the core version of Zorin 5 available to download from this site. It is 64 bit. The drivers are whatever the recommended Nvidia drivers when I went into the install hardware drivers in the Zorin menu.

As for the screensaver, I have changed what the screensaver looks like, how long it takes to come on, and I have addressed the power management. It is currently set to 15 minutes to turn off. If I leave it set to never, then the screen never turns off nor do I get a screen saver.

As for the side panel, I am just looking for the gadgets that you can add with Vista and 7. I have seen them on Linux as well. If you are not sure of what I am talking about, you can check it out here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Sidebar

Wolfman

Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:12:55 am

http://code.google.com/p/google-gadgets-for-linux/

I think that is has been discontinued but it is available in the repo!!.

Regards Wolfman :D