This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

General feedback and support timeline

Chefboyct

Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:18:51 am

Hi all,

I am not sure how many of you here are from Zorin development team but I have a genuine question. Seeing I am a paid member and supporting of Zorin. I would like to know the general timeline of feedback / issues submitted directly via Zorin website? I have not been getting some positive experience in regards of the feedback from the official developer team. I have even received feedback from INSYNC or from Boot-Repair (which I am not a paid member) and they have so far responded quicker than the Zorin development team (1 to 2 days from these developers). So I would like to know what is the difference really for paid members seeing I am not really seeing the fast response time (friend of mine using Ubuntu and he has received faster response from their team) when it comes to issues and problems. Thank Goodness I have managed to resolve my own issues since starting of using Zorin. But having said that, it is the principle and I would really like to know what I can expect from Zorin team going forward in 2017.

Thanks,
:geek:

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:43:10 am

I can't comment as all Moderators on here are volunteer helpers. The only dev team members on here are the forum Administrators, the brothers Zorin. I am aware that they are in process of migrating the forum to a new more secure site. The dev team comprises the Brothers Zorin who employ 2 other developers. Ubuntu (Canonical) will have at least 20 members on their Dev Team. It's all relative. Sorry can't give a definitive answer.

mdiemer

Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:33:42 pm

I have found the response time for paid help to be about 4 days. Not ideal certainly, but the help has always solved my problem. I'm sure it is a function of the size of the team, as Swarf has suggested. I've only accessed it twice, when my other calls for help have failed, along with my own attempts at researching the problem (which often end up solving it. We must all try to remember that others have almost certainly had the same problem, and the answer is probably already out there on the web, we just have to look for it).

MBMz10

Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:02:19 pm

1 or 2 days for me. Not withstanding the Xmas new year period ATM may slow things a little and as OS 12 is recently released likely a lot of issues till things settle down. I thought it was pretty good myself.

Chefboyct

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:35:55 am

MBMz10 wrote:1 or 2 days for me. Not withstanding the Xmas new year period ATM may slow things a little and as OS 12 is recently released likely a lot of issues till things settle down. I thought it was pretty good myself.

Thanks all, I think you are lucky to have 1 or 2 days response or maybe because you are also a moderator! lol! Either way, I am still waiting for reply from Zorin support whilst my problems have all been resolved except the random hanging even upgrading to SSD and using Nvidia proprietary drivers (also did this yesterday). But it seems like many people have this problem as per Google. So still not sure what it is. But one thing for sure. using SSD has improved memory and accessing time by lots!

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:51:58 am

Chefboyct wrote:
MBMz10 wrote:1 or 2 days for me. Not withstanding the Xmas new year period ATM may slow things a little and as OS 12 is recently released likely a lot of issues till things settle down. I thought it was pretty good myself.

Thanks all, I think you are lucky to have 1 or 2 days response or maybe because you are also a moderator! lol! Either way, I am still waiting for reply from Zorin support whilst my problems have all been resolved except the random hanging even upgrading to SSD and using Nvidia proprietary drivers (also did this yesterday). But it seems like many people have this problem as per Google. So still not sure what it is. But one thing for sure. using SSD has improved memory and accessing time by lots!

Let's be clear on one thing friend I have never used premium support and just to reiterate I am not a developer and I don't code. The other people who have responded are members like me with experience. ;) :D

As for Zorin 12 I think the issue is Gnome Shell which star trekker has commented on elsewhere. Whilst looking at Gnome shell extension themes a requestor on one extension asked if the coder was going to update the theme to the latest version. The contributor responded by saying that they had left Gnome shell behind because it made the GS behind because it was too sluggish.

"Be seeing you." [Patrick McGoohan as 'The Prisoner'] :| :( :cry:

star treker

Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:11:37 am

I personally have dealt with Zorin Premium support twice now. The first time I got an answer 2 days later, and while it was helpful, it didn't really solve my issues. At first I thought it did, things seemed smoother, but I was fooling myself, and I discovered that the driver didn't really activate the Nvidia GPU. So, that rendered the first support mute, as the problem wasn't really fixed, but I moved on. The second support question was in regards to networking, it took about a week before I got a response to that one. Unfortunately none of the information they provided was helpful, as I just couldn't figure out how to stop Zorin OS from being an a** and just let me access my network shared files already!

I do understand that the team is small, only a couple of guys, which is why they get a pass from me in regards to response time. I also understand that Zorin doesn't really get a whole lot of word of mouth advertisement in the community, as most people recommend Ubuntu Mate, Mint, Cinnamon, or KDE. However, having said that, if Zorin continues going down this path they chose with OS 12, I can gurrantee you, that the popularity of Zorin will go down even more so. I will tell you that my experience with the developer Jacque who is in the process of finnishing up his Makulu Lindoz OS, has been a lot more responsive.

Unlike the Zorin team who never communicated with its users on the forum, Jacque actually comes in the Makulu Lindoz chat room, and even though the guy is a busy bee, he still finds time to answer some questions and actually goes out of his way to communicate where things are with the OS. I have never seen such dedication before in my life, and so that is why I am so proud of him. I will be honest, I wanted more from Zorin, and I just didn't get it. But if there is one good thing I can say about Zorin? I will give Zorin the credit for providing me an OS that I considered a stepping stone into Linux.

Before starting on Zorin, I had nearly 0% experience with Linux. And with Zorin I learned some quirks of Linux in general, and about terminal commands, PPA's, and the ways you install software. So yes Zorin gets credit there to being a stepping stone, but thats about it. If all you need is an OS that lets you surf the web, do general computing tasks, Zorin will more then likely be fine for you. But if your an advanced computer operator such as myself, your going to find Zorin lacking quite a bit and will want to move on as much as I do. Good luck ;)

Finston Pickle

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42:34 pm

Hello,

I have found the Zorin 12 Ultimate support team to be excellent, pretty comprehensive and able to explain things to a non expert like me.

I have raised the same topic a time or two on here - to have a wider range of suggestions, I guess. I find the support from this Forum similarly helpful.

Best Wishes

F.P.

P.S. I do however still have a lot of things to work through, now that I have all the guidance at hand!!

Chefboyct

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:34:02 pm

star treker wrote:I personally have dealt with Zorin Premium support twice now. The first time I got an answer 2 days later, and while it was helpful, it didn't really solve my issues. At first I thought it did, things seemed smoother, but I was fooling myself, and I discovered that the driver didn't really activate the Nvidia GPU. So, that rendered the first support mute, as the problem wasn't really fixed, but I moved on. The second support question was in regards to networking, it took about a week before I got a response to that one. Unfortunately none of the information they provided was helpful, as I just couldn't figure out how to stop Zorin OS from being an a** and just let me access my network shared files already!

I do understand that the team is small, only a couple of guys, which is why they get a pass from me in regards to response time. I also understand that Zorin doesn't really get a whole lot of word of mouth advertisement in the community, as most people recommend Ubuntu Mate, Mint, Cinnamon, or KDE. However, having said that, if Zorin continues going down this path they chose with OS 12, I can gurrantee you, that the popularity of Zorin will go down even more so. I will tell you that my experience with the developer Jacque who is in the process of finnishing up his Makulu Lindoz OS, has been a lot more responsive.

Unlike the Zorin team who never communicated with its users on the forum, Jacque actually comes in the Makulu Lindoz chat room, and even though the guy is a busy bee, he still finds time to answer some questions and actually goes out of his way to communicate where things are with the OS. I have never seen such dedication before in my life, and so that is why I am so proud of him. I will be honest, I wanted more from Zorin, and I just didn't get it. But if there is one good thing I can say about Zorin? I will give Zorin the credit for providing me an OS that I considered a stepping stone into Linux.

Before starting on Zorin, I had nearly 0% experience with Linux. And with Zorin I learned some quirks of Linux in general, and about terminal commands, PPA's, and the ways you install software. So yes Zorin gets credit there to being a stepping stone, but thats about it. If all you need is an OS that lets you surf the web, do general computing tasks, Zorin will more then likely be fine for you. But if your an advanced computer operator such as myself, your going to find Zorin lacking quite a bit and will want to move on as much as I do. Good luck ;)

Thanks for the insight and much appreciated. It is the similar experience I had with Zorin team. I found IRC is a waste of time and I managed to find most answers online which is what most people would do in any case I guess. But it would be nice if one encounters something which has no clue about and when you pay for a premium package (which is more of a donation), then support for newbies like me is very important. I will check Makulu Lindoz as you mentioned and see ... I actually wanted to install Zorin onto my HTPC but not been able to spend the time (to configure as well) to install.