This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Samba error

zwansaurio

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:35:02 pm

Hi...I have a problem while trying to share a folder using samba...I installed samba graphical interface from the ubuntu software center, but when I try to share a folder gives me an error...(Image) I uninstall and later install again but now it's not working at all, not loading..

Well, I'm just starting to migrate to linux so I'm not used to commands over terminal, so should I just uninstall everything and do or use something else??...thanks in advance.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:44:21 pm

Hi please view my uploaded image of the firewall settings that come preinstalled for Samba (CIFS) rules - please note I do not use Samba or share files across the home network:

http://www.zimagez.com/full/6cd8729ec7c ... be7cb0.php

star treker

Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:56:12 am

If you get networking to work, please let everyone know, as I was not able to get Zorin to view files from another computer running identical version of Zorin, I just don't think Zorin is really built for networking. But again, if you get it working please let us know what you did. I've been told that on the computer I want to share files from, that I should really be running Ubuntu Server, its amazing that you need that just to share files but whatever.

My specific solution to my particular problem was solved when I bought an external drive enclosure, put the hard drive in it, then connected the enclosure box to my router, and I basically used my router's NAS functionality to share files on my network. Its much slower then using a fast computer due to the speed limitation of the CPU in the router, but at least it gets the job done.

zwansaurio

Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:59:59 pm

Actually...I was able to share a one single file from a windows 7 pc to zorin from a wifi connection on my home lan network...but not the other way, I could see the other pc's but while trying to share my folders I got that error and then could not share anything else, I didn't try using a cable(maybe I should)but, I quit trying for now..., so I'm backing up my files to format and install everything again to see if I screw up somewhere in the way to share files to windows Pc's...but I'm certain that you can share files with zorin, easier than setting and sharing with windows...I'll post any positive advance in the subject...hope not getting more samba errors...ufff