This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"SOLVED" Laptop Power drain in Zorin 12 Ultimate

Finston Pickle

Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:04:58 pm

I have found that using the lid closed suspend feature of my new Entroware laptop, the battery has been running flat within 30 hours.

I am intending to try several things:

Physically switch off WiFi and Bluetooth - if I can find such a switch

Never leave a USB stick in my laptop at night - my 64 Gig USB stick was getting very hot to the touch and some people say it is powered even in suspend.

Try using hibernate rather than suspend as recommended by Zorin 12 Ultimate support

I am thinking of modifying HIBERNATE_MODE=shutdown (/etc/default/acpi-support) to HIBERNATE_MODE=sudo shutdown -P now

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct instruction to stop all apps, move all volatile memory info to hard disc and totally power down, please?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:22:39 pm

Hi, I am no Notebook (laptop expert) - have you searched for "Correct power saving code for Notebook running ubuntu 16.04 to maximize power saving"?

Finston Pickle

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:08:17 pm

Alleluia! - the final straw of my Zorin 12 Ultimate install came when some dude broke into Slimjet, my browser, offering to make me a millionaire (uncommanded by me and something that Linux was supposed to protect me from) - I decided to ditch the build and throw away all the hours spent carefully making the changes that you have helped me with.

I was on the point of reverting everything back to Zorin 9, as set up on my older Toshiba laptop, by using my Zorin 9 install DVD and then using backup to install my settings (Would this have worked, I still wonder?).

On impulse, I tried my third install of Zorin 12 Ultimate - using a DVD prepared on my Toshiba laptop (the first install, by DVD, had failed on install and the second, via USB stick, was the one I have had trouble with.

Hey Presto! After install and restart, my new Entroware, Kratos 1000 laptop suspended on lid close - just like it always should have done, flashing light and all! I have still got to resolve my issue with my networked printer and will follow this up in the thread I raised to resolve my printer issues.

So, thanks for all the help and suggestions that have been made to help me and I take back all my comments about Zorin 12 Ultimate power management.

I still have to work carefully through setting the Kratos up to suit my needs, but I did want to use the latest Linux kernel and Zorin 12 and that is what I am doing. Please mark this thread closed.