This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Firefox

ian4238

Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:18:16 pm

I have been using Firefox as my browser since installing Zorin 12. About 2 days ago, every time I wanted to look at a different webpage, it would load the page, then turn the background a dark grey (almost black) so you could hardly read it. Any links do not work. I have checked that other browsers work OK (Chromium and Web), and have uninstalled Firefox, then reinstalled it the next day. The problem is still there. I have Firefox on my laptop that works OK, so would prefer to keep it on my desktop. Strangely enough, when I opened and signed in to this page, it worked properly, but every other page has been blacked out. I have looked through the Firefox instructions and notes etc but can't find any answer. Any help please.

Del369

Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:08:18 pm

Check Addons and see if "Ubuntu Modifications" is enabled, if it is try disabling it, otherwise did you maybe change to a dark theme in Zorin? the only other things to do would be to start Firefox in safe mode and see if its still happening, if not go through your Addons and disable them one by one till you find the culprit (if it's an Addon that's causing it that is)

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:46:00 pm

This is something I have experienced from time to time on all versions of Zorin! :( and before any add-ons loaded by moi!

Del369

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:00:02 pm

Ubuntu Modifications seems to install all on its own and I was reading somewhere that it doesn't actually play nice, I think its normally disabled by default, but it's worth checking.

ian4238

Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:51:52 am

Thanks Del369 for the suggestion. I found Ubuntu Modifications had been enabled by itself. I disabled it, but when I restarted Zorin the black screens came back. I checked the only other 'Extension' which was Desktop Weather Channel, and disabled that. Firefox now seems to be OK. So the problem might be with all Extensions. I have restarted, tried umteen webpages and links, all OK. I checked my laptop - all up to date, but it is running Linux Lite XFCE (Ubuntu 16.04) - while waiting for Zorin Lite. I might keep to it in the future, as I have not had a single problem since installing.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:52:26 pm