This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Crashes, slow response and desktop shortcuts

AndroidLoop

Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:18:55 pm

Hi everyone. I'm publishing this because I had problems with Zorin 12. Opening aplications or changing of aplication (with alt-tab for example) was a VERY SLOW process, in one chance everything crashed til' the point I had to restart my laptop. Even it showed the zorin's crash report, but after that everything got really slow and clitchy and I had to restart it. I don't know if it was the fact that I didn't update zorin 12 while installing it or just for coincidence I started to have problems with my Hard Disk after the installation (Dunno if it was Zorin or I already had problems with the HD and installing zorin triggered everything). Other thing are the desktop shortcuts, where can I create them? I cannot create them with the classic right-clicking on something and click on "create shortcut", maybe an after-installation detail that I have to add because zorin didn't? I'm waiting for responses, thanks everyone.

PD: I love Zorin, I falled in love during Zorin 9 and I was so excited about Zorin 12, but those problems disappointed me, including the fact that I cannot create shortcuts.

PD2: If this isn't the right place to post this, please notice me and will not happen again.

I have a lenovo g560 with:

Intel pentium dual core 2.13Ghz
4gb RAM
HDD 300gb

PD3: In this moment I can't give detailed specifications, I will publish then SAP

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:43:42 pm

Hi 12 is top heavy down to Gnome Shell - but there are some advantages that Gnome Extension offers for different problem resolution, such as multi monitors. As for shortcuts this has been covered elsewhere:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12630

AndroidLoop

Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi 12 is top heavy down to Gnome Shell - but there are some advantages that Gnome Extension offers for different problem resolution, such as multi monitors. As for shortcuts this has been covered elsewhere:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12630

Ok understood about the shortcuts. So, those crashes happened because of gnome shell? And there is not way to solve those chashes yet?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:58:36 pm

I think spec of your machine might be borderline especially if your graphics comes off the RAM or is there separate memory for graphics? I'm had partial freezes but no total lockup apart from under powered desktop I installed to yesterday.

star treker

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:18:20 am

Crashes in OS 12 were often for me until I updated the OS. You need to go into your update settings and switch the update source from your country, to MAIN SERVER, then after that when you go to close that window, it will refresh the cash. Then after that, you should innitiate an update to the OS, and then restart your computer. IF its a fresh install of the OS you are running on, this may require updating a few times to get all the needed updates after the restart. And there are some options to turn some fancy things off to save on computer resources. But Swarf is right, you also are dealing with the fact that gnome shell is a resource hog. If you only have 4GB of memory, chances are that OS12 is probably using 3GB of it.

AndroidLoop

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:46:01 pm

Well I installed again Zorin 12, and even while I was about to make this reply "Chromium" got freeze, and before that when I tried to make the shortcut for chromium the desktop crashed and everything desappeared until i turned on the desktop icons on in zorin appearance. Well, now zorin is using 1.3 gb, part of it is chromium. I'll try updating.

AndroidLoop

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:50:45 pm

Here are my specs:

Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6200 @ 2.13GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 2.1 GHz
Number of Cores 2
RAM 4.0 GB
Video Card Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer Intel
Chipset Intel(R) HD Graphics
Dedicated Memory 64 MB
Total Memory 1.7 GB
Pixel Shader Version 4.0
Vertex Shader Version 4.0
Hardware T & L Yes

Sad news, I give up with zorin 12. After update it, I couldn't even shut it off (got freeze on black screen, I had to shut down the laptop keeping pressed the power button) And when I restarted it, I got this. Well I guess I can't use zorin anymore. That's a shame :(

star treker

Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:03:53 am

I am so sorry to hear of these problems, I feel for you, as I have gone through many computer issues in the past and so I know what you are going through.

At this point I am going to have to recommend Ubuntu Mate to get you back up and going. It won't look like windows in any way really but you can learn to use it in a short period of time. I would have recommended Makulu Lindoz, but its currently in BETA right now, and I won't recommend BETA's for installation, only for playing around with in LIVE boot mode as I am doing right now. However, if you are ok with that, that will be an option too. But Ubuntu Mate is known to be super stable, so if you need a working machine, you can always install that while you wait for Makulu Lindoz to get its fully release.

AndroidLoop

Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:37:27 pm

star treker wrote:I am so sorry to hear of these problems, I feel for you, as I have gone through many computer issues in the past and so I know what you are going through.

At this point I am going to have to recommend Ubuntu Mate to get you back up and going. It won't look like windows in any way really but you can learn to use it in a short period of time. I would have recommended Makulu Lindoz, but its currently in BETA right now, and I won't recommend BETA's for installation, only for playing around with in LIVE boot mode as I am doing right now. However, if you are ok with that, that will be an option too. But Ubuntu Mate is known to be super stable, so if you need a working machine, you can always install that while you wait for Makulu Lindoz to get its fully release.

Thx, but i have already installed Lubuntu after zorin's crash. I was about to install Ubuntu but the minimum CPU for it it's 2 Ghz but my CPU has 2.13 and I don't want to give that work to my cpu.