This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New Linux Kernel 4.9

Chefboyct

Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36:10 pm

Hi all,

Just came across the new Linux 4.9 kernel. Has anyone played or installed it and what is your feedback? http://www.ubuntumaniac.com/2016/12/upg ... le-on.html

star treker

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:19:53 am

Not on Zorin OS. And the 4.9 kernal uses overlays which I am pretty sure would be incompatible with OS12 as it is right now. However, having said that, I am keeping in touch with the developer of Makulu Lindoz who is implementing the 4.9 kernal into his new OS version, which has not been released yet. ;)

Chefboyct

Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:48:17 am

star treker wrote:Not on Zorin OS. And the 4.9 kernal uses overlays which I am pretty sure would be incompatible with OS12 as it is right now. However, having said that, I am keeping in touch with the developer of Makulu Lindoz who is implementing the 4.9 kernal into his new OS version, which has not been released yet. ;)

MAN, you are making me thinking twice about changing my HTPC to Zorin (Ultimate version). The thing is I must say... the Zorin 12 ultimate which I paid for... though the support is almost non-existence but everything else works well out of the box. I am not sure about your experience with Free linux distros.. but as a newbie.. I always have issues with many of them as it stands and not knowing how to "TUNE" them properly. But Zorin 12 ultimate works well. So I am going to have a look at Makulu Lidoz and see if I can make it work. The issue I have is with graphic card on my HTPC. It has an AMD / ATI Radeon HD 4350 4550 RV710 card. And it has been having issue forever except Ubuntu 10.04, then ever since I upgraded to 14.04 (as people say... you better do a clean install)... but then my graphic display become so slow and had so many issues. Then I changed it to Linux Mint as it looked "COOL" but it didn't quite work either having endless problem with the display driver (I read something into it as not very much compatible with the card?, but I could be smoking something seeing it was a while ago). Then I moved it to Kubuntu seeing the interface is great but I struggle a bit to use it (not sure why as the desktop environment is very different and struggle to find something). Now I am in Zorin and I quite like the default applications it uses (I am still a clueless newbie now). So the question I have is.. will Makulu Lindoz able to support the display card (seeing AMD / ATI is no longer supporting it) and I see there are some old proprietary drivers back in 2011 2012 but I read online that they may no longer be supported on the new kernel. so what does that mean and where does that leave me?

Oh and an interesting thing.. I was going through someone's Mint setup and learnt a new command called screenfetch. And I think Zorin team seriously need to update their info on this.. because nowhere on this tell you that it is a ZORIN distro... sad though and even the default image remains a penguin! :lol:

star treker

Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:18:06 am

WOW, did anyone ever tell you that your a cool guy? Yep its true its official, you win a cookie. lol :D

OK, now onto more important matters, Linux distrobutions! I know what you are going through, as my notebook has a two GPU setup, the crappy Intel, and the performance Nvidia. So many Linux distrobutions do not do well with proprietary Nvidia drivers, due to lack of proper support through the OS kernal being used.

I expressed on more then one occasion to Jacque that I was concerned about Nvidia driver support in his next OS. I believe he understands the importance of a fully functioning Nvidia driver that activates the GPU for full performance. But here's the thing, if he's doing that, then he's going to want to make sure those with ATI, will also function well, cause people have either or right. ;)

Here's what I think, if you like Zorin OS 12 Ultimate, and the OS is working for you, you should stick with it, especially since you paid for it. However, if your like me and the OS has puked all over the place, then I would suggest moving over to Makulu. Truth is, its in BETA right now for version 12, but were hoping to see a full release soon. But you can try the BETA 1.42 version running in live mode if you wish, just remember its not a full release so don't expect perfection.

But I can tell you what you can expect, the ability to change to any windows theme you like, weather its classic, XP, 7, 8, or 10. It uses XFCE desktop which is highly customisable. The last release is based off of cinnamon, but the new release will be based off of Debian. Jacque is making that change due to compatibility with hardware. Which really is getting me excited about it, because it might mean that the OS will be able to communicate well with my Nvidia GPU without puking all over the place.

Chefboyct

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:15:51 am

star treker wrote:WOW, did anyone ever tell you that your a cool guy? Yep its true its official, you win a cookie. lol :D

OK, now onto more important matters, Linux distrobutions! I know what you are going through, as my notebook has a two GPU setup, the crappy Intel, and the performance Nvidia. So many Linux distrobutions do not do well with proprietary Nvidia drivers, due to lack of proper support through the OS kernal being used.

I expressed on more then one occasion to Jacque that I was concerned about Nvidia driver support in his next OS. I believe he understands the importance of a fully functioning Nvidia driver that activates the GPU for full performance. But here's the thing, if he's doing that, then he's going to want to make sure those with ATI, will also function well, cause people have either or right. ;)

Here's what I think, if you like Zorin OS 12 Ultimate, and the OS is working for you, you should stick with it, especially since you paid for it. However, if your like me and the OS has puked all over the place, then I would suggest moving over to Makulu. Truth is, its in BETA right now for version 12, but were hoping to see a full release soon. But you can try the BETA 1.42 version running in live mode if you wish, just remember its not a full release so don't expect perfection.

But I can tell you what you can expect, the ability to change to any windows theme you like, weather its classic, XP, 7, 8, or 10. It uses XFCE desktop which is highly customisable. The last release is based off of cinnamon, but the new release will be based off of Debian. Jacque is making that change due to compatibility with hardware. Which really is getting me excited about it, because it might mean that the OS will be able to communicate well with my Nvidia GPU without puking all over the place.

@Star Treker. You are aware that you can change it to Nvidia drive on Zorin 12 .. right? #justsaying. And for AMD ATI old card... it has been an issue for ages since support stopped by AMD as I can see trails of posts online and on Google. I also came across a page with all the OLD proprietary drivers for the AMD ATI card. .. but the concern I have is that what if I installed it and my Kubuntu doesn't boot up seeing it was mentioned somewhere that opensource driver should be used from 14.04 and these drivers are no longer supported (really not sure what thay means in English!) And as a newbie... when something doesnt work, I re-install as I am not that great at CLI even though some commands are easier to manage through CLI than GUI. and again, people are recommending 14.04 over 16.04 which Makulu Lindoz will be based on 16.04 like Zorin. Another reason why I don't really want to change to 14.04 is because it is going to die in the next 2 years and we all know how quickly time flies (Hey, It's Christmas again! 2017!). So if I am going to set up my HTPC again (which is generally a pain), then I will need to find something I know for fact 1) it will work well with this outdated graphic card (and with HDMI support.. it was the best thing ever!) then 2) the life time of the kernel support... So yeah. That is pretty much the Dilemma I am in right now. Kubuntu is not perfect and some codec doesnt play well in Kodi and random stutter in the Desktop but I can live with it.. for now!

star treker

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:57:22 am

Yes I know you can switch to Nvidia drivers in Zorin, that is exactly what has made my OS puke all over the place. Hence, its got compatibility issues. And I need to correct you about Makulu. Again, Makulu is not based off of Ubuntu, it will be based off of Debian. Shouldn't have anything to do with Ubuntu, so unless you know something I do not, please explain. But as far as I know, Jacque wants to stay far away from Ubuntu. And he's staying far away from Gnome Shell 3 too thank god lol. I also understand that we both have slightly different expectations. But at the end of the day, we just want an OS that just works for us. ;)

Chefboyct

Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:09:25 pm

star treker wrote:Yes I know you can switch to Nvidia drivers in Zorin, that is exactly what has made my OS puke all over the place. Hence, its got compatibility issues. And I need to correct you about Makulu. Again, Makulu is not based off of Ubuntu, it will be based off of Debian. Shouldn't have anything to do with Ubuntu, so unless you know something I do not, please explain. But as far as I know, Jacque wants to stay far away from Ubuntu. And he's staying far away from Gnome Shell 3 too thank god lol. I also understand that we both have slightly different expectations. But at the end of the day, we just want an OS that just works for us. ;)

Hey man, for sure. Like I said.. I would like to give Lindoz a try but I am scared of graphic card issues. And remember, I am still a newbie in comparison to you .. and this is what I read online http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/83647.html ... having said that.. does anyone know how to setup owncloud PROPERLY? I managed to set it up on the laptop but still have to hack more into it so I can access it and using secure login from mobile.