This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Strange issues with OS

CarloPel

Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:38:42 am

I'm having strange errors with my laptop, running Zorin OS 6. First Thunderbird crashed, with errors about no disk space. Then, when I tried to copy error messages, LeafPad would not write files. I run Insync for Google drive and it also says no space left. apt-get install fails with "no space left on device" errors.I tried to confirm disk space available, which DF reported as having 4.0GB available. But I cannot get any application to write any error files, so I can attach them. I have emptied the Trash.

Other Filesystems reported as 0 space from the df command are:
system: mount:
proc /proc
sysfs /sys
none /sys/fs/fuse/connections
none /sys/kernel/debug
none /sys/kernel/security
devpts /dev/pts
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/steve/.gvfs

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS

star treker

Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:06:37 am

Version 6 of the OS is incredibly outdated. You should be using at least OS9 which is good up to 2019, or OS12, the newest version, that is good up to 2021.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:00:54 pm

Just to add if you have run out of space you could have fallen foul of the issue I had when I manually installed SolydX - in the same way I installed Zorin - having said that I could have been the master of my own demise having had issues overwriting Zorin 12 I created a new partition table. Installed SolydX making root partition ('/') of 30 Gb, extended with /home and at the end, swap area of 4 Gb - on a 170 Gb drive - for some bizarre reason, /home was associating itself with '/' - hence shortage of space! :o

As star treker has recommended - you should upgrade to 9 at the very least as support for 6 expires in April this year. Might be worth changing now once you have backed up all you data in you '/home' folder - if you want to copy your application settings be sure to press 'Ctrl+ H' to show the hidden folders in '/home' and select all and copy to external drive/memory stick depending on size of your data.

CarloPel

Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:54:56 pm

Does any of the info from df command explain where the issue may be??

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:50:10 pm

CarloPel wrote:Does any of the info from df command explain where the issue may be??

http://askubuntu.com/questions/280342/w ... disk-usage