This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] Suspend and power off - Zorin 12 Ultimate

Finston Pickle

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:23:41 am

I adjusted all the mains and on battery features to suspend on lid close and shut down on power off for both mains and on battery. This is the same in Settings, Tweak tool, Unity Tweak Tool, KDE Configuration Tool ( Note: I notice that the Power management section of KDE Configuration Tool has to be manually selected after opening - how can I ensure this runs automatically?, please).

Afterwards, on Start up - because I think that the Zorin 12 Ultimate OS crashed and I powered off by holding the power button down, I noticed a grid of dim lights around the Start up Zorin Logo - they had not been there before.

On lid open, shut down, I notice that my laptop no longer shuts down (even though this is what I have selected) but stays on showing the Zorin logo and dim light grid and also showing a fully charged green light (I am on mains) and a sold green.

Also, on lid closed, the screen stays on showing the Zorin logo and dim light grid, showing a fully charged green light (I am on mains) and a sold green, where I should see a blinking green.

How can I get back to what I had before - suspend on lid closed and total shutdown on shut down from the menu, battery or mains, please?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:15:36 pm

I would remove laptop from mains - can you force shut down with 4 second push on power button? Remove battery, hold power button for 30 seconds to drain power memory, replace battery and reboot - if nothing changes you have had the same issue I had on an old desktop I had after installing nVidia drivers - a broken system! :(

Finston Pickle

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:25:54 pm

Thanks, Swarf - but I don't think my system is broken, not yet anyway.

I have been quietly working my way through several - well quite a few issues, actually - thanks everybody, but I am generally pleased with where I am up to.

Please mark this item as closed - I will pursue my residual issues in my existing posts and new posts, if needed, to clarify specific items.