This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

"SOLVED" Zorin 12 and Epson networked printer

Finston Pickle

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33:12 am

I could not use the Zorin 12 inbuilt printer install feature because of the nature of the Epson .deb file. I have since installed my Epson Stylus DX 6000 printer driver using a suggestion from Zorin Ultimate support (using the .Tar).

However, my printer is on a MSHOME network:

1. Trying settings/printer/add and having put in my Zorin password to authenticate, I was able to see my Mesh computer and Epson printer. However, there was no option for "have printer driver" and it failed as I clicked on my Epson DX6000 printer. Shame - it did not recognise that I already had the printer driver installed!

2. Undaunted, I tried it the hard way - manually - system-config-printer
Things were going swimmingly - I could see my Router, Mesh computer and Epson printer - until I tried to join the same MSHOME network - it did not recognise my Zorin password to authenticate. I never had a Windows password for MSHOME.

Frustrating or What!! What is going on?

Suggestions please.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:17:33 pm

do a search for joining Ubuntu to a windows network - there are lots of guides out there - the other issue might be the firewall - if you know the ports the printer uses - ensure that they are allowed access via 'gufw' - the firewall used in Zorin. ;) :D

Finston Pickle

Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:45:47 pm

I have looked online, thanks Swarf, and it does seem as though Ubuntu 16.04/Zorin12 does have issues in joining a Windows Workgroup with no password - such as mine.

I really can't remember how to or even if you can change a Windows network password after it has been established. The answer does seem to be to give the zero password, Windows Workgroup, network an actual password and then use it in the manual config system-config-printer when asked for a password.

Does anybody know how to retrospectively change the password of a Windows Workgroup, network. please? I am Using Windows XP on the Desktop connected to the Workgroup printer.

Zorin 9 connected via CUPS to the printer with no problem, as I remember.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:29:18 pm

Just found this:

http://www.howtogeek.com/191116/how-to- ... a-network/

Looks like you have to share files these days as the only way! :o

Finston Pickle

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:19:22 pm

Thanks, Swarf.

I can try this.

There still might still be a problem with a "no password" network.

I will have to try this workaround to find out - entering nothing for the password and taking it from there!

Finston Pickle

Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:26:14 pm

I have to report that I still can not get my networked printer to work, although the above tip was useful.

I have just reset the same printer to work from my old Toshiba laptop, running Zorin 9, with no problems.

For some reason Zorin 12 does not seem to have the features of Zorin 9 when it comes to setting up a networked printer - it seems crude in comparison.

I can see the XP machine as MESH and, inputting my password, see the printer EPSONSty. I can select the printer driver that successfully worked on my Zorin 9 laptop. When I do, all I get is installation failed. PLEASE HELP, THIS IS A SHOW STOPPER!

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:25:28 pm

Hi, haven't tried this on other machines but when I installed Pear OS 8 on eldests PC, to connect to networked printer had to get to the same interface but via command line in Terminal. (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T). Please make sure that samba is up-to-date and if not installed install it. If you haven't got synaptic package manager installed yet you may need to install that and do a search for 'samba' packages in synaptic to ensure all is present and then run a system update. I think part of the issue could be the fact you have autologin - personally I prefer to have a password protected machine. Guess I'm just used to that with logging into work everyday! :lol: Please be aware that you may need to specify a password at the Windows end for this to work as stated in that article if memory serves me correctly. Have you tried clicking on 'Network' printers when adding printer?

Almost forgot, once you open the terminal enter:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer
and follow the route you did before. If all else fails you may have to install CUPS and use a 'web-based/styled' printer connection interface which I hate! ;) :D (and thankfully don't have to use!)

Finston Pickle

Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:59:16 am

Thanks again, Swarf.

I will try reinstalling Synaptic package manager and check /install the Samba installation, and then try a manual printer installation as you suggest. Hopefully, I will then find the features I saw on my Zorin 9 machine.

My Zorin 9, Toshiba laptop was set to auto login, by the way. From the built in printer dialogue box in settings, it gave me the option of selecting a networked printer via Samba - I saw and sucessfully logged on WORKGROUP, using my Zorin 9 password and found my XP machine, MESH, and Printer, EPSONSty. It successfully loaded the driver (Epson Stylus DX7000F - CUPS+ Gutenprint v5.2.11 - the Epson Stylus DX 6000, which is my printer, did not feature in the listing).

I was able to rename the printer name seen (Epson Stylus DX 6000) and as used by the system Epson-Stylus-DX600) and even had a built in help when I had problems intitially - I had to right click on the printer (Which had a green tick on it at the time) and alter some preference to allow the Samba server to communicate with the printer (smb://MESH/EPSONSty).

For some reason, all of these features were missing from the built in printers dialogue in settings in Zorin 12 Ultimate although I did find MESH, using my Zorin 9 password and EPSONSty, however the driver, Epson Stylus DX7000F - CUPS+ Gutenprint v5.2.11, would not load. Interestingly, another driver, lower down the page, a "recommended", driver did load - I forget which - and printed the test page as multiple prints with black bands at the top of each page - not a great result!

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:06:49 pm

Hi, I posted an answer to another Epson user on here - you may need to get the official GNU/Linux driver - end of lunch - back later. ;) :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:19:49 pm

Here is the link but you will need to select your printer model instead;

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12714#p56228

Finston Pickle

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:59:57 pm

Well, Swarf, thanks to your help, I now have my Epson Stylus DX6000 networked printer working. Many thanks!

I downloaded the Epson drivers from:
http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/du/02 ... 66f846fdd9
as suggested and Gdebi using sudo apt install gdebi
Then, having got lsb working (see below), used Gdebi to install the Epson driver on my machine.

The tricks were using Synaptic Package manager to check that CUPS was fully installed (it wasn't); also that SAMBA was installed (it wasn't) and also that lsb was installed (apt-get install lsb did not work even with a gksudo in front of it).

I then used gksudo system-config-printer to install a new networked printer using SAMBA. This allowed me to load the printer driver similarly to how I did it on my Zorin 9 install - see above.

Surprisingly, it decided to use the Epson Stylus DX7000F - CUPS+ Gutenprint v5.2.11 driver rather than the installed version of the driver epson-inkjet-printer-escpr_1.6.11-1lsb3.2_amd64.deb from the Epson site.

As it works fine, the last point is a minor issue - thanks again!

This thread is now closed - SOLVED!

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:00:10 pm

Great to hear friend! ;) :D