This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 update

Tyto Albus

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:40:13 am

Hi everyone.

I've recently installed Zorin 12 (4.4.0-47-generic) triple booted with Windows XP and Windows 10 and all was fine until I updated the OS. The newer version (4.4.0-59-generic) started up but although the mouse pointer moves around nothing responds when you click on it.

I tried the 'Updating Ubuntu Software & Repairing Broken Files (System)' page and ran advanced mode at the boot screen and enabled network and ran dpkg which appeared to make a few changes but didn't fix the problem. If I go back to 4.4.0-47-generic that still works fine, is there any way if I can't fix the mouse problem that I can make the bootloader boot into the older version by default instead of the broken updated one?

By the way it's a USB mouse and the PC has 3Gb ram, AMD Phenom II X555 Processor.

Many thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44:10 pm

"

There is going to be 3 files you will need to remove. Others if using virtual machine too. But these are the main ones.

Open synaptic [if you don't have it you will have to install it - try to boot into safe mode with command prompt and ensure you are connected to the internet - this bit not in original thread], use the search to find the installed kernels

linux-header-3.2.x.x

linux-header-3.2.x.x-generic (possiably generic-pae or i686)

linux-image-3.2.x.x

Should be easy enough to remove. Afterward run

Code:
sudo update-grub
"

Taken from here:

There is going to be 3 files you will need to remove. Others if using virtual machine too. But these are the main ones.

Open synaptic, use the search to find the installed kernels

linux-header-3.2.x.x

linux-header-3.2.x.x-generic (possiably generic-pae or i686)

linux-image-3.2.x.x

Should be easy enough to remove. Afterward run

sudo update-grub

http://askubuntu.com/questions/106031/h ... owngrading

Tyto Albus

Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:59:49 pm

Thanks I'll give it a try, just need to get a copy of synaptic first.