This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Auto login "keyring lock" issue

mojolinux

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:31:24 am

Hi
Just installed ZORIN 12 on a brand new HTPC I have recently built for it's Operating System. I have it "auto logging" in at startup, cause I don`t want to bother with entering a password each time I use my HTPC rig!
However, I continually get the message "The login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer". I then have to enter my (only) password in order to continue which completely defeats the purpose of having it "auto login".
Is there a safe way around this keyring message block, and still have it auto login?
Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:11:27 am

Hi I'm hoping I have found the solution. Please click on the link provided in the post I created in first thread of How-to and tutorial section.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12669

mojolinux

Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:45:39 am

Quote: "Hi I'm hoping I have found the solution. Please click on the link provided in the post I created in first thread of How-to and tutorial section."

This appears to be more like an "ArchLinux" solution? Is this "solution" valid for ZORIN12

mdiemer

Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:06:05 am

I have a similar post going. I have concluded it's simpler to just log in every time. At least you get added security for those times to you pop down to the hardware store and forget to turn your machine off, and CIA or MI5 spies break into your house.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:10:00 pm

mojolinux wrote:Quote: "Hi I'm hoping I have found the solution. Please click on the link provided in the post I created in first thread of How-to and tutorial section."

This appears to be more like an "ArchLinux" solution? Is this "solution" valid for ZORIN12

Check that the pam modules are present in 'etc' - so if they are there yes you should be able to use it in Zorin - remember, we are dealing with Gnome which is what Zorin uses - I will need to check when I get 12 reinstalled at some point.

mojolinux

Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:24:13 am

Why the convoluted workaround to fix this "issue"? Is this simply a "bug" to be fixed someday, or can it be fixed by ZORIN developers?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:49:25 pm

It's not a bug - blame it on the Gnome Project. What Zorin does is to get hold of the GNU/Linux Kernel, chooses the Desktop Environment and themes it - which is what most forks do but there will be a lot more to it than that. If you do a search for this issue in DuckDuckGo you will find a litany of threads devoted to this subject stretching back ot 2011! :(