This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Software Update application problem

DaveS

Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:54:28 pm

Greetings,
I did a forum search for "software update" and did not get any hits, so please excuse me if this has already been discussed.

I recently upgraded from Zorin 10 to Zorin 12 Ultimate. Initially the Software Update application seemed to be working fine, and it successfully completed several OS updates. Last week I started getting update notifications every time I woke the machine up from sleep. The application shows one update waiting in it's title bar, but there is no indication of what update is pending. The application shows the "Looking for new updates...." spinner but it never finds anything even if I leave it running over night. Can anyone tell me what I can do to reset the application so that it only shows update requests when there are actually real updates pending?

Thanks for any help!!!!

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53:31 pm

Hi, if you haven't done this already, please see my post install thread - bit by bit:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12462

Dave_S

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:05:44 am

Thank you Swarfendor437!!
I am a bit embaresed that I did not notice that post when I was looking for a solution. I am off to visit my daughter in the hospital, but I will follow the instructions in your post install thread when I get back home. I will follow up on this thread after following your instructions. Thanks again.
--Dave

DaveS

Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:48:10 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, if you haven't done this already, please see my post install thread - bit by bit:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12462

Thank you very much for your response to my problem! I only managed to get to step 2 of your "bit by bit" post install instructions since step number 2 requires using the program that is not working. I was able to change to the main server in step 1, but the "Software" program does not find the Synaptic Package Manager, nor anything else for that matter. The wait spinner just endlessly spins like it does for the 1 update that it does not find or identify. I hope that you may be able to tell me some way to reset the "Software" to get it started working again?

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:47:10 pm

Hi, open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

DaveS

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:31:12 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! THAT FIXED IT, AFTER A REBOOT!!

Now, I can continue on from step #2 with your bit by bit post install instructions.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50:22 pm

Glad to hear! ;) :D

Will mark as [SOLVED]