This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] HP Printer Problem on Zorin 12

RasmusA

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:11:22 pm

Hello everybody,
I am totally new here, so forgive me if have trouble making myself understood.

I installed Zorin 12. My printer (HP LaserJet P1005) was immediately recognized after pluging the usb in. I tried to print, received the message, that it was printing, but nothing happened with the printer. Any ideas?

thank you in advance!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11:48 am

Don't ask me why this works, but it usually does - it will launch the same interface but from the command line and is normally used when accessing a networked printer. Open a Terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
system-config-printer

and try again.

Also if you have not already installed Synaptic Package Manager from Software Center/re do it now then when you launch it (you'll need to provide your login credentials to elevate yourself to 'root' (administrator) search for 'hp' and if there are any packages missing like hp toolbox - install them. :D

mdiemer

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:41:03 pm

There are a couple programs you can install from the Software Center that have to do with printing:

hplip
gutenprint

I was also having a problem with an HP printer. When I installed them, the problem was solved.

RasmusA

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:32:16 pm

thank you guys! I tried everything you said. unfortunately without succes. The printer tells me that it printed everything. but nothing actually was printed. any more ideas? thank you!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49:30 pm

Have you updated the system after installing Zorin?

mdiemer

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:36:41 pm

Something to check out:

http://www.howtogeek.com/215235/how-to- ... -on-linux/

I have always been able to solve printer problems eventually. On Ubuntu, the Add Printer feature has ways you can choose to install the right printer drivers. It will find them for you. Zorin does not seem to have this feature, it just does it automatically. This sounds like a driver issue to me. you may need to find the correct drivers on the CUPS site, download and install them. I would keep at it, research it on the web. I found a lot of other people with the same problem. Unfortunately, the solutions looked pretty complicated.

If all else fails, and you are a premium Zorin member, submit a help request. If not a premium member, it might be a good time to become one. If they can't solve this, no one can.

mdiemer

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:43:05 am

I checked on the HP website, and they direct you here to get drivers:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/gethplip.html

RasmusA

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:07:59 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Have you updated the system after installing Zorin?

I am not sure. How can I do that - with synaptic?

RasmusA

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:10:53 pm

mdiemer wrote:I checked on the HP website, and they direct you here to get drivers:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/gethplip.html

thanks again for the links. I tried the hp site as well but it didnt work so far. miraculously, after restarting I was asked to download and install the appropriate drivers - and it worked! I guess I forgot about that. :lol: :D :oops:

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:22:42 pm

Glad you are sorted and a big thank you to mdiener for helping out - I'm a Canon fan. ;) :D

RasmusA

Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:02:04 pm

you guys rule! :)

mdiemer

Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:14:14 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Glad you are sorted and a big thank you to mdiener for helping out - I'm a Canon fan. ;) :D

I also like Canon, as well as Brother. the HP in my case is an old model I use as backup. since replacing my wife's printer (which was an HP) it sits in wait for future need. I use the Canon, she now has a Brother which can do everything - print, fax, make coffee etc. Always good to have a versatile Brother around.

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:40:34 am

Never been a fan of Brother laser jets as at work we had to scrap one just over 12 months old as the cost of parts cost more than to buy a replacement - really great for the environment