This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

new zorin user

expaddy

Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:35:59 am

Hi All,

So I took the plunge and decided to give Zorin a try as I'm trying to get a desktop to act as a workstation/server/home box. I opted for the paid for edition because I think it's about time that Linux people started getting paid some real cash for doing great work.
First impressions are good, not perfect but good. The desktop layout is pretty logical and everything is where it should be, software is easy to install and the graphics card updated and is running flawlessly. Updates work well but don't work so well through the GUI updater, at one time is just refused to budge and in another instance it couldn't get the updates but updated perfectly via the cli.

Good Points:
Seems solid as a rock.
Great design and layout.
Looks lovely.
Easy switching through desktops.
Fast responsive.
Works well with all of my hardware.
Runs a virtual environment very well, (KVM).

Niggles:
Shortcuts to the desktop sometimes work and sometimes don't, (I believe there may be some sort of conflict with dropbox).
On the start menu I'd like to see a window pop out when I pick a section and not replace the section view.
When changing through desktops it works as expected but never really takes properly until rebooted.

Suggestions:
When selecting to purchase the premium version it would be good to be able to select what software you want and have that identified as your bundle.
Yes I know this is possible during installation but it would be good to have that recorded somewhere for ease of reinstallation etc.
The premium bundle is good but could maybe be better, through selection or at least de-selection.
Sort out the conflict with Dropbox it's annoying.
I'd like to see a purpose built Zorin desktop tweaking tool, (wobbly windows et al).

Overall Impressions:
An excellent all round desktop, which I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, especially new users.
It handles being a workstation/server/home machine very well, (better than all that I have tried fed, centos, ubuntu, mint, debian etc)
It takes the abomination that is unity/ubuntu and makes it right.

8/10

BR/David

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:02:45 pm

expaddy wrote:Hi All,

So I took the plunge and decided to give Zorin a try as I'm trying to get a desktop to act as a workstation/server?/home box. I opted for the paid for edition because I think it's about time that Linux people started getting paid some real cash for doing great work.
First impressions are good, not perfect but good. The desktop layout is pretty logical and everything is where it should be, software is easy to install and the graphics card updated and is running flawlessly. Updates work well but don't work so well through the GUI updater, I think that this is down to the fact that when you install you provide your location and the updater points to a server in your locale - updates may not get through so readily as 'Main Server' - change your sources to 'Main Server' - see my Zorin 12 post install guide bit-by-bit here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12462 at one time is just refused to budge and in another instance it couldn't get the updates but updated perfectly via the cli.

Good Points:
Seems solid as a rock.
Great design and layout.
Looks lovely.
Easy switching through desktops.
Fast responsive.
Works well with all of my hardware.
Runs a virtual environment very well, (KVM).

Niggles:
Shortcuts to the desktop sometimes work and sometimes don't, (I believe there may be some sort of conflict with dropbox).Are you using the drag from applications folder in /usr/share or using 'create launcher' method?
On the start menu I'd like to see a window pop out when I pick a section and not replace the section view. Have you tried the XP look in Look Changer? Failing that install Cairo Dock DE
When changing through desktops it works as expected but never really takes properly until rebooted.

Suggestions:
When selecting to purchase the premium version it would be good to be able to select what software you want and have that identified as your bundle. Zorin is a small distribution compared to Canonical (Ubuntu) so I think you are asking too much - there are ways of creating (or were in Zorin 4) of creating an iso from your installation - the name of the app eludes me - sign of age! Failing that, install Zorin, remove what you don't want, then use redobackup for when things go wrong! :D
Yes I know this is possible during installation but it would be good to have that recorded somewhere for ease of reinstallation etc.
The premium bundle is good but could maybe be better, through selection or at least de-selection. Already answered this earlier - Zorin is a small distro compared to the large well established ones.
Sort out the conflict with Dropbox it's annoying. Can you be more specific?
I'd like to see a purpose built Zorin desktop tweaking tool, (wobbly windows et al). Zorini is a small team - you ask too much - if you want wobbly windows install Compiz - I did manage to get that working after install but not the cube, I suspect because of the move to Gnome Shell

Overall Impressions:
An excellent all round desktop, which I would have no hesitation in recommending to anyone, especially new users.
It handles being a workstation/server?/home machine very well, (better than all that I have tried fed, centos, ubuntu, mint, debian etc)
It takes the abomination that is unity/ubuntu and makes it right. Some people might say that there is not much difference when it comes to the restriction of creating icons on the desktop - it is just the layout is different: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZU9XzJBgVc

8/10

BR/David

expaddy

Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:55:27 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thanks for answering but I really do hate inline copy and paste answers.

Yes I did see your guide and changed the source to main server and back again several times, it seems to have settled down now so maybe new install jiggles as usual.

I used several different methods all of which usually work again seems to have settled down again.

Yeah I'll keep messing with the changer until I find the setup I like.

Creating services like this is how you grow.

No Unity is an abomination which belongs on a tablet not a desktop PC.

The dropbox issue is pretty simple, it disappeared twice, (was running but didn't appear anywhere), and then uninstalled once, (no running instance but when reinstalled it worked fine as if it had never been gone), and iot did seem to point to Nautilis at least that's what I caught. It could well be me and it's no biggie.

I am making comments not asking for help but thanks for the hints I'm sure they'll be useful.
I just want to say that I think it has a future but needs to grow and needs to provide all the lovely stuff we had in gnome 2 with of course some polish.

BR/D

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:20:33 pm

Hi I usually do copy and reply when various points are made or I lose the plot! ;) :D

I think it is worth reiterating that Zorin's dev team comprises the Brothers Zorin and 2 other developers, and it must have been difficult decision to make. Clearly people have to remember that Dr's are as much dependent upon compatibility with the current kernel jus as much as applications are which sadly ends up with dead projects such as AWN and Gnomenu not being able to run on same.

expaddy

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:06:59 pm

Yeah good point and thx