This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 12 video and icon sizing issues.

biggman100

Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:29:55 am

I installed Zorin 12 a couple days ago, and so far, i only have a couple complaints. First, i am a new linux user, so some of it is still way over my head, but google and forum searches have helped quite a bit, except on two issues, one being, my desktop icons are beyond huge, with i think also corresponds with the desktop sizing. When i say huge, i have a 42 tv that i am using, through an HDMI cable, with an Nvidia geforce 730gt graphics card, and, from 25 feet away, without my glasses (yes, i have bad eyes) i can still see the icons very clearly. i did an experiment, and it only take 14 icons to fill up half the screen. I have tried every suggestion i have come across, from Nautilus (which doesnt seem to be installed, and inaccessible), to downloading the tweak tools, to using the KDE touchpad configuration, to the Nvidia settings, and no matter what i try, nothing seems to work. Anyone have any ideas?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:57:34 pm

See my post here - this worked for me:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12513&hilit=+icons#p55163

biggman100

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:01:41 pm

I have tried all the suggestions in that post, as well as the other two posts in the links, none of them seem to work, and the more i mess with it, the more im convinced it is more the graphics card than anything else, since i have other issues, such as having to manually set the underscan to 20 every time i restart it, and no matter what resolution i try, it never changes the size of the screen. The latest issue i am having though, is repeated nautilus crashes, which i am still trying to figure out why. It apparently doesnt help that the MB is an MSI, which, according to a couple other forums, may be a part of the issue, but, i will see as time goes on.

I am starting to wonder if the issue isnt the nvidia settings control, since even when i use the tweak tool, it doesnt apply any of the setting i choose.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:05:16 am

Just been searching again and found this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1522316

Interesting element from dino99 on that page:

"My 2 cents,

first i'm not going to follow the 3.18.is.3.14 route, but going forward with the gnome3 ppa now that the desktop team have made that decision (only due to little cosmetic issues, that i does not care, and i'm not be alone)

then, when we first got that 3.18 serie, i've also got that icon/thumbnail size problem. But dconf-editor can be easily used to set the user wish size: ..../nautilus/icon-view/thumbnail-size which i've set to 64, and .../list-view/default-zoom-level to 'small'

so that it, i cant agree with such decision, nor reverting ubuntu-settings; this again will introduce a bigger delta with the way gnome is following."

If you haven't got dConf Editor open a terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T or Menu | Utilities | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

Screenshot of settings:

DeepinScreenshot20170131010308.png

biggman100

Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:28:59 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just been searching again and found this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1522316

Interesting element from dino99 on that page:

"My 2 cents,

i've also got that icon/thumbnail size problem. But dconf-editor can be easily used to set the user wish size: ..../nautilus/icon-view/thumbnail-size which i've set to 64, and .../list-view/default-zoom-level to 'small'

i got the dconf-editor from one of the other links, but even trying to change the settings has absolutely no effect. After a restart, the setting's go back to what they were, and even before a restart, no matter what setting i try, it doesnt change anything, so, what i think the issue is, is that the Nvidia control panel is over riding everything, because i can use that to make certain changes, just not to icon size, and the only 3 non auto settings either just make the screen and icons bigger, or, the screen gets tiny, and is only showing in the upper left part of the actual screen, then, when i restart, it defaults back to what it is, so now, i am on a hunt to find a way to not use the Nvidia control panel, and revert to the default nautilus settings, and see if that makes a difference.

I have tried going back to the Nouveau driver, but that still seemed to use the Nvidia control panel for settings.

I found one trick that kind of works, at least until i restart. I used the Nvidia controls to set the screen to a user defined setting (1920x1080), which made the screen finally fit right, with a 30% underscan, but, even after saving it, upon restart, it defaults back to the original oversize setting, and i have to redo it each time, but now, the icons are a bit smaller than i want, so i will keep messing with it, and see what happens.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:02:43 am

Hi, thanks for feedback. If you have Synaptic Package Manager installed then do a search for no idea, check mark all that come up and mark for complete removal. Then change your download sources to Main Server. You could try installing Gnome full. Will look into it further when time allows.

Finston Pickle

Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:24:05 am

Will Gnome 3.20 (Nautilus 3.20?) help with this issue?

I read some encouraging words on the Internet. Perhaps this will come to Zorin 12.1 in time.