This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Repository error after OS update

Chefboyct

Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:40:37 pm

Hi all,

Again, issues which I noticed. I noticed Zorin did some serious update yesterday or two days ago. And whilst I am busy installing something and added a new repository, After I did sudo apt update and this is the error below. These are 4 different repository which were working before but I actually dont really need the last two. I am using RIME for Chinese input but dont need sbackup or screenlet repository anymore. And I also noticed the fcitx under synapic manager shows it has osmething to do with Ubuntu core system... so I assume it is important so I would like it to work. So can anyone tell me how to resolve this? I also installed y-ppa-manager but it doesnt seem to help.

Thanks,

Err:47 http://ppa.launchpad.net/fcitx-team/nightly/ubuntu xenial Release
404 Not Found
Err:48 http://ppa.launchpad.net/lotem/rime/ubuntu xenial Release
404 Not Found
Err:49 http://ppa.launchpad.net/sbackup-team/stable/ubuntu xenial Release
404 Not Found
Err:50 http://ppa.launchpad.net/screenlets/ppa/ubuntu xenial Release
404 Not Found
Reading package lists... Done
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/fcitx-team/nightly/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/lotem/rime/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/sbackup-team/stable/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/screenlets/ppa/ubuntu xenial Release' does not have a Release file.
chefboyct@chefboyzorin:~$

Swarfendor437

Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:36:44 pm

It could be that you need to do sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade for the problematical ones that don't update. In respect of the ones you don't need anymore, just open Software Updater, then press cancel then press on settings button and go to the tab that lists the PPA's, select the ones you no longer need and select 'Delete' or 'Remove' can't remember the options and I am not currently running Zorin. ;) :D

Chefboyct

Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:06:42 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:It could be that you need to do sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade for the problematical ones that don't update. In respect of the ones you don't need anymore, just open Software Updater, then press cancel then press on settings button and go to the tab that lists the PPA's, select the ones you no longer need and select 'Delete' or 'Remove' can't remember the options and I am not currently running Zorin. ;) :D

Lol, what are you running at the moment. and no, that was the result from sudo apt-get update! :) and I will try and remove it manually. but not sure about the one which is used by Ubuntu core

Swarfendor437

Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:53:27 pm

I am currently running Deeping 15.3. In respect of the Ubuntu tutor core have you attempted to select update to latest Ubuntu? If you have that can break a Zorin install.

Chefboyct

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:25:35 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:I am currently running Deeping 15.3. In respect of the Ubuntu tutor core have you attempted to select update to latest Ubuntu? If you have that can break a Zorin install.

No my friend. It has always been just standard Zorin OS update. It is running fine really .. but like I said. I was worry about fcitx-team/nightly/ubuntu. It seems like relating to the core system... but I will do a distro update now

Chefboyct

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:53:44 am

Chefboyct wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:I am currently running Deeping 15.3. In respect of the Ubuntu tutor core have you attempted to select update to latest Ubuntu? If you have that can break a Zorin install.

No my friend. It has always been just standard Zorin OS update. It is running fine really .. but like I said. I was worry about fcitx-team/nightly/ubuntu. It seems like relating to the core system... but I will do a distro update now

Again, sending a query to Zorin support team and no reply... it has been more than 3 days! :evil:

Swarfendor437

Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49:26 pm

OK, I believe my cold was failing to spot something I should have almost immediately! :idea:

The 4 updates will never update as they appear to relate to applications not part of core release - basically either applications you have added or they are apps that were present but not 'Canonical' partners. You will get this when you install non-free applications such as the Web browser Opera - it will not get updated because it is not in the official repo. Screenlets is the item that sprang out at me. What this means is that you will need to go to the project page and check if there are any updates - the site/s should tell you what to do regarding this. Also as kernels get updated, the applications may not reflect the current kernel release (hence my initial suggestion of 'dist-upgrade' - this is not a distribution upgrade - it just updates the applications to match the current kernel release for compatibility issues.) Your best bet is to either run an update via the application if it offers it or visit the website, download the latest package - but check its compatibility which it should state, manually 'purge' the existing application and then install the new package (hopefully .deb) with Gdebi Package Manager - if you do not have this installed open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt install gdebi

Once installed, right-click your newly downloaded .deb package and select from 'Open with ...' Gdebi. ;) :D

Chefboyct

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11:08 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, I believe my cold was failing to spot something I should have almost immediately! :idea:

The 4 updates will never update as they appear to relate to applications not part of core release - basically either applications you have added or they are apps that were present but not 'Canonical' partners. You will get this when you install non-free applications such as the Web browser Opera - it will not get updated because it is not in the official repo. Screenlets is the item that sprang out at me. What this means is that you will need to go to the project page and check if there are any updates - the site/s should tell you what to do regarding this. Also as kernels get updated, the applications may not reflect the current kernel release (hence my initial suggestion of 'dist-upgrade' - this is not a distribution upgrade - it just updates the applications to match the current kernel release for compatibility issues.) Your best bet is to either run an update via the application if it offers it or visit the website, download the latest package - but check its compatibility which it should state, manually 'purge' the existing application and then install the new package (hopefully .deb) with Gdebi Package Manager - if you do not have this installed open a terminal (Menu | Utilities | Terminal or Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt install gdebi

Once installed, right-click your newly downloaded .deb package and select from 'Open with ...' Gdebi. ;) :D

But Swarf.. what is the purpose of gdebi? Isn't it the same using dpkg command or dkpg whatever the spelling is? and I have removed two of these four seeing I don't use them anymore but for fcitx-team... I will have a look. I know where to find RIME but somehow I don't think it is the issue as I have been to their website and the PPA was exactly the same. But I will investigate further.

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:03:13 pm

OK, so the PPA is the same - not one that cam with Zorin (or Ubuntu) I'll wager? If you are happy using dpkg -i (or is it -i dpkg) when installing fine, but Gdebi is really good at giving graphical feedback of what dependencies are missing when you get a failed install - ok so you get that in the terminal - GUI is easier on the eye and missing dependencies are in red. ;) :D

Chefboyct

Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:28:48 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:OK, so the PPA is the same - not one that cam with Zorin (or Ubuntu) I'll wager? If you are happy using dpkg -i (or is it -i dpkg) when installing fine, but Gdebi is really good at giving graphical feedback of what dependencies are missing when you get a failed install - ok so you get that in the terminal - GUI is easier on the eye and missing dependencies are in red. ;) :D

Shot and thanks! Now I know the difference